Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day trip to Norwich EGSH and the Cold War RAF Museum

A little day trip to the RAF Radar Museum near Norwich. A boys’ day out

1hr from Shoreham EGKA to Norwich EGSH. A hazy day, and a little bumpy under the cumulus clouds. Flown all the way at 3200ft with a transit of Southend, who on the way back got around to it pretty late as I was just about to do a 180. But better than Solent who in the past sometimes forgot about you completely

The above pics are in reverse order

EuroGA database report

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The place is a tour de force in waveguides, klystrons, magnetrons, and all the fascinating stuff which only complete boffins understand. Like the magic tee

They also used to run the system for comparing radar returns with flight plans, to identify dodgy arrivals into the UK.

It was done basically manually, with paper strips etc. I mentioned the IBM software for doing this (IBM did a press release on it many years ago) but the guy had not heard of it. He was later at W Drayton etc. and then a policeman

I would expect most countries to have such a system. How mainland Europe does it, nobody seems to know and those who do are not talking

Also an interesting list of criteria for potential attackers e.g.

• GS > 380kt
  • below 5000ft
  • emitting ECM (no s**t sherlock on that one)

They would have been told by other surveillance units about incoming ICBMs, with a 25 min warning No countermeasures; that big missile with the four solid fuel boosters and two ramjets had a range of just 50nm.

Administrator

Thanks Peter. My grandfather was in the RAF development of radar approx. 1940-1942, then a volunteer with the Royal Observer Corps during the Cold War, so I find this really interesting. We’ll definitely visit the museum one day. We have his WW2 photos, but unfortunately none taken of the equipment; a blind eye was turned to having a camera on the understanding there were absolutely no photos of anything secret.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Looking at the number of communists at the univ I went to, and where they ended up working afterwards, I am sure the bolsheviks had pretty much everything of general relevance. It was hoped they would not have immediate operational stuff like comms keys, IFF key schedules, etc, obviously…

Administrator

Is that a Tornado cockpit ?
I would have liked to do a study trip to this museum, an others, if my professors had been really serious.
I guess there is a museum dedicated to the Chain Hope and its role in the battle of britain ?

There is a small equivalent in Normandy : https://www.musee-radar.fr/

I visited in the UK the bunker where the UK gov and the BBC should have hid in case of a Soviet attack. Huge complex beneath what looks like a cottage. Neat

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 10 May 18:17
LFOU, France

1 x Jaguar and 1 x Tornado, and you could sit in either of them!

This is the Jag and its quite compact inertial nav box:

I visited in the UK the bunker where the UK gov and the BBC should have hid in case of a Soviet attack

I think the BBC are still down there

Administrator

@Peter, are they all aviation radars? The first one looks more like a ground surveillance unit and the fourth one is suspiciously similar to an old counter-battery (projectile tracking) radar.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 10 May 20:52
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

AFAIK (could be wrong) they are all for detecting aircraft or illuminating SAM missile targets. One of them is obviously from an aircraft nose.

It is all old stuff.

The white dome is an active RAF installation which one can’t get near.

Administrator
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message