Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviation cardiology discussion

Somebody has failed their Class 2 due to ECG showing ‘right bundle branch block’ and ‘left articular fasciular block’.

What is the route to getting a Class 2?

It won’t be cheap, but that is not the Q

@frank @justin perhaps?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

See a cardiologist (ideally one familiar with, or willing to become familiar with, the CAA requirements) have a consultation, some basic testing (likely including an echocardiogram, a 24hr ECG and an exercise ECG) and assuming all is well, Cardiologist issues report to the AME who will review it against the AVmed regulatory requirements, load it onto the pilots CAA medical record and issue Certificate (with or without restrictions depending on the report/results).

Time to complete, 1-2 weeks, circumstance depending (like covid).

Costs – very locality dependent.

In a nutshell (with my AME and Cardiologist hats on!)

jc

EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

Interesting @Justin – many thanks.

Presumably this is in the region of 2k-3k? An ultrasonic scan is close to 1k, an ECG treadmill is maybe £500, and a few hundred for reports, plus AME extras.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

24hr EKG + Exercise EKG would cost about 100€ in Germany, don’t know about the reports to the AME. Any GP can do a 24 hr EKG here, but not all of them do it.

Is there any source to look up the CAA requirements?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes the CAA website has the relevant guidance.

In my neck of the woods it would be approx £550 – 600 for the lot (consult + report, echo, tape, treadmill, hospital fees, admin etc etc).

But as I say it’s locality depending.

J

Last Edited by Justin at 14 May 15:17
EGNV and Fishburn Airfield

Revalidation at 30 with ECG?

Hi All,

I have my Class 2 renewal coming up in September. I’ve been told that I’ve got to have an ECG included?

I didn’t know that was a thing. I had one done initially afaik and then this will be my third.

https://www.caa.co.uk/media/jgbgqgsn/0-medical-certificate-validity-table-may2022.pdf

Anyone know why?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Because your AME is confusing you with a Class 1? Or you have a pre-existing condition that warrants increased cardiovascular surveillance?

Part-MED.B.010:

(a) Examination

(1) A standard 12-lead resting electrocardiogram (ECG) and report shall be completed when clinically indicated and at the following moments:

(i) for a class 1 medical certificate, at the initial examination, then every 5 years until age 30, every 2 years until age 40, annually until age 50, and at all revalidation or renewal examinations thereafter;

(ii) for a class 2 medical certificate, at the initial examination, at the first examination after age 40 and then at the first examination after age 50, and every 2 years thereafter.

(2) An extended cardiovascular assessment shall be required when clinically indicated.

ELLX

pilotrobbie wrote:

Anyone know why?

That usually happens if you turn 50 before next medical, i.e. if you are already 48 and you are about to go to your medical, then they’ll ask you for an ECG, as one must be done before you turn 50. If that is not correct, and medical history is OK as well, then just challenge them – they could be just trying to get more money from you. :)

EGTR

I’ve been told it’s because I never had an initial ECG. Which was a thing when I did my initial Class 2 because I was 20. (I am sure I had one…)

Apparently now the CAA have demanded AME’s do an ECG on next medical.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message