Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suddenly afraid of training

@Volaris, at least by your writing here, English shouldn’t be a problem for you. That said, I’d echo what others have said and suggest you wait a little until you actually use aviation English. You could also get into the swing of things by listening to LiveATC.net, ideally choosing an airport in your area. Also, get your medical done asap – doesn’t make sense to start training (can you do that in Europe without a medical?) and spend money if you then find you can’t get it for some reason.

Emir wrote:

Why? I got level 5 when I did the exam first time.

The CAA wants one to pass one’s “first” exam with them, and they only have level 4 examiners, so they can only give a level 4. After that first exam pass, one can do renewals with any other approved examiner, and then the maximum level one can possibly get is restrained by the approval of that examiner.

Last Edited by lionel at 14 May 21:10
ELLX

Peter wrote:

Never done it in 24 years of flying.

I’ve never had to use sideslips on a GA plane so far, primarily because I’ve never flown one without flaps and in GA you mostly can sort out your approach yourself. I’ve seen it use to great success on both the Caravelle and the Tupolev, when ending up on final too high and fast. On the TU you had other means of slowing down such as throwing the gear out (those 6 wheel boogies really slow you down while they unfold) and massive speedbrakes. The Caravelle on the other hand was a pure gentleman’s plane which could do astonishing stuff. Sideslipping was used quite often as a planned thing when circling somewhere in order to stay high until away from built up areas or when ATC gave you “impossible” altitudes to reach final in a civilized manner. Worked every time and was fun.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Fly a plane with little power, low wing loading, no flaps, lots of adverse yaw and a powerful rudder…. Come in high on purpose, watch what lift and sink does on approach and adjust for it by slipping off whatever excess energy nature has left you on short final. In that circumstance you’ll find slipping is a wonderful tool.

Volaris wrote:

Does it make sense to do the ICAO language test already at the beginning? I think about getting it done and maybe have a positive motivation if I can cross this item off my to-do list.

Considering your written English I’d say that test is a total non-event for you with the proper preparation, that is doing some listening examples primarily and listen to some ATC. Also speaking to native English speakers and possibly immerse yourself with watching UK news on Sky or BBC e.t.. may help to get you in the mood. Normally I understand this test is done together with the radio certificate, but if you want to do it before or whenever, sure.

I did my LP6 in ZRH with a real fun examiner and the Swiss counterpart. It was by far the most fun I’ve ever had at an exam.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message