Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Change of heading in flight plan

Credit where credit is due - FPP was out a couple of weeks before Autoplan.

Possible, but definitely news to me

I document Autoplan usage on this August 2008 trip report.

FPP is mentioned in a 3/2009 note here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you "what next" and "backpacker" for the answer to my question, that is what I wanted to know. Rob

It is interesting that "RMK/IFPS REROUTING AND LEVEL CHANGE ACCEPTED" reportedly works 100%.

It definitely did not work 100% in the days I used it. Eurocontrol would quite happily throw the flight plan out and leave you to it. I can think of one appalling situation I got myself into (at an airport which was 5 days PPR for arrival and departure) partly due to that.

Perhaps the number of people having difficulties with flight plan development forced their hand... Also I know of a Seneca pilot who killed himself and his family, flying "VFR" in solid IMC, despite having an IR, and doing such flights routinely because he had problems working out the Eurocontrol routings. Admittedly there were other factors in that one but the inability to climb above FL115 in France under VFR was the biggest one.

Administrator

It is interesting that "RMK/IFPS REROUTING AND LEVEL CHANGE ACCEPTED" reportedly works 100%.

I find that hard to believe. It never worked for me, and I talked to an operator of the manual queue, he said they would try to fix these plans if they had time, but they never had time to do so.

Maybe some ANSP would try to fix these plans? How were the plans that got fixed filed?

LSZK, Switzerland

he said they would try to fix these plans if they had time, but they never had time to do so.

That is indeed the Eurocontrol official position.

I do vaguely recall that some agencies would fix up flight plans that returned a REJ. Was it Olivia that did that sometimes? The UK FBUs (closed several years ago) used to do this all the time, because they were getting loads of training and "VFR GA" IFR flight plans which would not validate.

Administrator

If you file via the German DFS (free of charge if the flight originates or terminates in Germany), you can put in pretty much anything you like and they will fix it up for you. One of my IR instructors had no clue how to do an IR flight plan (airline captain), he thought it is enough to just specify where one wants to go and put in a few enroute navaids and then a proper IFR flight plan will be returned...

terminates in Germany

are you sure about that bit?

They're not obliged to do this, and in fact I tried once and it got rejected (it was a VFR plan, though)

Unlike france

LSZK, Switzerland

I find that hard to believe. It never worked for me, and I talked to an operator of the manual queue, he said they would try to fix these plans if they had time, but they never had time to do so.

Maybe some ANSP would try to fix these plans? How were the plans that got fixed filed?

I use our Swedish ARO (www.aro.lfv.se) website for IFR filing, sending test flightplans to see if they work before actually filing them. I've never used the "IFPS REROUTING..." but still get suggestions back.

Two examples, I filed the shortest available route I could find (FPP gave me some weird suggestions IIRC): LHSM - M986 ZAG M725 SPL - LDSB

The message back to me on the reject is pasted below, which included a suggested route which was OK:

-ERROR PROF204: RS: TRAFFIC VIA LDSB LDSP IS ON FORBIDDEN ROUTE REF:?LD2045A? M/UM725 ZAG SPL -COMMENT POSRTE N0120F100 DCT KOPRY M986 ZAG Y137 PALEZ L862 SPL SPL4N

Same thing a few weeks ago when I filed a "Y" flightplan from Hamburg to Texel.

-ERROR ROUTE165: THE DCT SEGMENT EEL..GRONY (23 NM) IS TOO LONG FOR EHDCT:065:245. MAXIMUM IS 0 NM ?EH2A? -COMMENT POSRTE N0120F100 WSR9B WSR N125 EEL VFR DCT

So what "IFPS REROUTING.." adds is that the above changes are done automatically?

So what "IFPS REROUTING.." adds is that the above changes are done automatically?

The POSRTE field is added automatically in a REJ message if the IFPS 'Propose Route' was able to find an acceptable route...

From the IFPS User Manual:

(**): The field POSRTE (possible route) is only present when the following conditions are met:

• The message is a flight plan or a modification for a change of route.

• The error for which the message is rejected is related to the route.

• The IFPS ‘Propose Route’ function was able to find an acceptable route.

No, RMK/IFPSRA is the authorization to staff to modify the flightplan if they want to. So IFPSRA is handled manually, and there's no obligation for them to do fix your plan.

See the IFPS user manual, chapter 25, page 99.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message