What if.. you lost your medical?

A flying buddy got a heart attack in a VW Polo and died during intercourse

He was doing it in a VW Polo?

Not suprising!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That was 24 years ago.

United Kingdom

You have the option to fly as a “student”, so the end result is that it may cost you more money, paying an instructor.

Obviously one would try to avoid having to pay a flying school instructor but even a CRI should meet the insurance requirement and there is a fair number of CRIs around some of who might quite like to get free flying.

The other option is to get a friend added to the insurance but that may cost more, whereas flying with an instructor is covered automatically by all insurance policies I have seen.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

You have the option to fly as a “student”, so the end result is that it may cost you more money, paying an instructor.

Maybe under FAA regulations, but I would consider that a kind of legal minefield under EASA rules (was not different though in our national rules before EASA).

True, a student only needs to have a valid medical for solo flights. Before going solo, he can receive training without a medical. But as he has no valid license, this is “initial training with the purpose of obtaining a license”. And this can only be done within an approved training facility. Now, at least in my country and especially since that Germanwings crash, you will probably not find a training facility that does not insist on a medical before commencement of the flying training. “My” FTO, as we train mostly commercial pilots, has always insisted on a valid class 1 medical before even commencing the theory course for fear of legal litigations when a student finds out halfway through his course that he has just burnt 30.000 Euros for nothing.

Last Edited by what_next at 26 Feb 15:20
EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter wrote:

A number of my flying friends have instructor ratings, so the cost would be zero, whether they acted as an instructor or just as PIC. Insurance is not an issue for the latter, my policies don’t have named pilots. The problem would be simultaneous availability of them and I. Maybe after retirement that will be easier, if I’m not traveling the world and riding motorcycles etc so much that flying at home isn’t a priority

Aren’t there specific restrictions for medicals that help here? Similar to the requirement to wear corrective lenses & carry a spare (VDL), I believe there is a “with safety pilot only” one under EASA regs, which should allow you to fly one with any rated pilot – Where is Flying’Dutch?

Biggin Hill

He is @frank

Administrator

You can fly a non-EASA aircraft in UK airspace on self-declaration if you are fit to drive a car. Our insurer has no extra requirements when we asked.

http://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/Pilot-licences/Medical-requirements/Medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/
Read down.

I still have an EASA Class 2, but have also got CAA acknowledgement of this form, so I can fly if I lose Class 2 during the year. (I’ve to update AME on test results.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The first thing you do is go down the job center and you release that your CPL and IR are not worth sh*it.

Last Edited by Bathman at 26 Feb 21:21

LAPL still works I think. It’s more or less like the same criteria as a mini-bus.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message