Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR to EASA IR - practical experience 'using the system' and finding an ATO/FI for training

I can recommend Jim Thorpe and Rate One Aviation in Gloucester – not freelance, but very pragmatic and helpful, with reasonable rates.

EGEO

I’ve sent you an email, JJBeall.

I have in the past found that freelance instructors don’t like to be openly listed online, presumably because (a) they don’t want to upset affiliations with FTOs for whom they periodically work and (b) they like to get paid in cash

And you do want an instructor who hangs out in the FTO circles, because he/she will know the peccadillos of the system and the examiners. An instructor who just trains you out of some IR book is no good. Also if you actually want to use the IR, you want an instructor who flies for real, and probably the nearest you will get to that will be some bizjet pilot.

Speaking of companies, these people might be a start. But any real company will be a lot more expensive than a freelancer.

Last Edited by Peter at 28 Aug 10:37
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

you absolutely cannot enter CAS until somebody clears you

Peter this is not strictly true, on the continent you’re quite quickly ending up in class E, which is controlled airspace but doesn’t need a VFR clearance. But it’s correct for A-D.

LSZK, Switzerland

But it’s correct for A-D.

Thomas this is not strictly true, in God’s Own Nation you’re quite quickly ending up in class D around medium sized airports, which is controlled airspace but doesn’t need a VFR clearance, only 2-way radio communication. But it’s correct for A-C.

I find it slightly bizzare that Class E is “controlled” for VFR but you can enter it non-radio

It’s just a play with words.

The American Class D entry system (requires ATC to read back your tail number) is a difference to ICAO. I am not sure if they actually filed it formally.

Last Edited by Peter at 28 Aug 15:21
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I find it slightly bizzare that Class E is “controlled” for VFR but you can enter it non-radio

IMO it makes sense. The airspace classes are about what services you can get. In E, you can get IFR-IFR separation, but not IFR-VFR separation. Therefore, it makes sense to not require VFR clearances (but require IFR clearances)

LSZK, Switzerland

Class E is NOT controlled for VFR….only for IFR

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

That is not a definition of controlled I’ve heard so far. AFAIK the controlled attribute is not distinguished between IFR and VFR – see for example here

“Controlled” essentially means ATC services are provided. And even VFR gets information services.

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes Thomas you are correct….badly worded on my part….the “airspace” is either “controlled” or not…it is an attribute of the airspace not of the flight rules being used by a given pilot..I just meant no clearance is required for VFR and no requirement to be “controlled” by ATC….or even speak to them….the only difference between class G and class E for a VFR flight is the cloud separation requirement at low altitude vs clear of clouds in G

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 29 Aug 06:31
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

the only difference between class G and class E for a VFR flight is the cloud separation requirement at low altitude vs clear of clouds in G

No, there is much more to it… ATC services available, speed restrictions, visibility requirements, etc.

UK pilots tend to be mostly clueless about class E, the reason sure being that there is so little of it up in Blighty.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Aug 07:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message