Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hypoxia

At my cabin altitude of 8500-9500 feet, I am fine but certainly notice that it creates tiredness when I land after 2-3 hours of flight.

Be aware that the effects of hypoxia set in already above 5000ft when flying at night…

I was surprised it is so high. 8500 is your minumum cabin altitude, and that rises with outside altitude up to 9500?

No, my minimum is sea level. at FL270-280 it is 8500-9500 depending on conditions. 5.6 delta p

Be aware that the effects of hypoxia set in already above 5000ft when flying at night…

Well no, the effects don’t know whether it is day or night. If you mean the altitude effect on night vision is a risk even at 5000ft, I agree although I don’t normally find this to be a problem. Fortunately in the descent my cabin altitude keeps dropping to the set altitude even if I am kept at 10000ft I would be breathing 1000ft air.

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Sep 11:57
EGTK Oxford

I was surprised it is so high. 8500 is your minumum cabin altitude, and that rises with outside altitude up to 9500?

The PA46 cabin was initially designed for the piston plane. At FL250 the PA46 cabin has a differential pressure of 5.5 psi and a cabin altitude of 8000ft. Later on they changed the piston engine for the PT6 and increased the service ceiling. But they did not redesign the cabin for a higher differential pressure and accepted the cabin rises up to about 10000ft cabin altitude or in some rare cases even a little above that.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

accepted the cabin rises up to about 10000ft cabin altitude or in some rare cases even a little above that.

In several hundred hours it has never been above 10k at FL280 but I get 5.6psi differential. It has been above obviously at FL300.

EGTK Oxford

that I think the audio warning is probably adequate…

Incidentally, I verified this yesterday – with a high end noise cancelling headset (A20, Zulu, etc), the audio warning isn’t that distinct. You can hear it, but it doesn’t manifest as a “major warning” kind of thing…

My O2D2 is attached to the headliner between the pilot and the co-pilot, i.e. next to the ear. It is very audible, no way to miss it. Like in this video

Last Edited by achimha at 03 Sep 06:00

I can definitely hear the O2D2 regulator beeping if somebody is not breathing properly. It’s not loud but is very noticeable. That is on the Bose A20.

In that TB20 gear up video, if you can make out the French audio track, it seems they thought the horn was some sort of overspeed warning. They heard it allright. That was just a pilot not familiar with the type and probably with flying generally, because a TB20 with the gear up is almost impossible to land. It goes much too fast and everything looks and feels totally wrong.

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Sep 06:13
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The humiliation continues in this clip:

(surrounded by 10 old/middle aged white guys in the aftermath)

Isn’t that a sure way of inflicting more structural damage? I mean lifting the A/C in the nose, supported with the tail on the ground.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I read somewhere that both pilots were very experienced with a few thousand hours. It shows that gear up landings have not much to do with the level of experience. It could be avoided by hooking up the gear to the GPS, and displaying a warning when 200 feet above the threshold, descending, tracking towards a runway with gear up. I would buy such add-on immediately.

United States
Sign in to add your message