Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changes to European ATC?

On a trip to and from the south of France last week, I was talking to various ATC information frequencys, and it gradually dawned on me that these “information” services were giving instructions to commercial carriers to “descend to flight level xxx” etc. Thinking that maybe this was just a change in France, I was stunned to hear London information also giving intructions to a commercial flight to “descend to flight level 100”! Has anybody else noticed this change?

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Are you sure that the same controller is not providing both ATC and FIS?

In my country there are no separate enroute FIS frequencies (well, ok, there is one…). ATC also provides FIS outside CAS within their geographical sector.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

London Control gives a basic service in Manston area. Nothing unusual

United Kingdom

London information used to only provide information. I have never previously heard them giving instructions/clearances. Earlier this year I didn’t notice France info services giving clearances, only on the trip last week

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Airborne is right. FIS and ATC are often on the same frequencies in France. No changes there.

Very convenient for flight rule changes, as this often takes places seamlessly without any frequency changes.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Sep 12:21
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

An interesting one is Dutchmil in The Netherlands, where a single controller handles FIS and ATC on two frequencies.
Dutchmil Radar is on 128.350, and Dutchmil Info is on 132.350. It’s the same guy and his transmissions are broadcasted on both frequencies.

The Radar frequency has priority. If two calls are done simultaneously on both frequencies, the controller will answer the IFR aircraft.

In Germany, FIS is dedicated personnel during “business hours”. Outside those, the service is provided by ATC. During night, there is only ATC because NVFR is practically the same as IFR in Germany.

During night, there is only ATC because NVFR is practically the same as IFR in Germany.

Indeed. But this kind of begs the question of which is the hen and which the egg.

LSZK, Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message