Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA IR conversion and night rating

If you have an FAA CPL/IR and go through the conversion process to get an EASA IR do the night flying privileges inherent in the FAA IR get converted or do you have to spend yet more money and get a night rating for the EASA licence?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I believe you will need a Night Rating – although arguably some of the IR training might be used for the night rating.

When I did my EASA CPL I had to spend thirty minutes in an Arrow at night, followed by three solo landings – this seemed to renew my long defunct Canadian night rating. I don’t have the night rating as a separate rating on my EASA licence, but I get night privileges via my CPL/IR.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

AFAIK the FAA PPL Night Qualification is a superset of the EASA PPL NQ, and the EASA PPL NQ is wholly sufficient for an EASA IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Under EASA, it is no longer a night flying qualification, it’s a night rating.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There is no separate FAA PPL night qualification/rating. Night flying privileges are integral to the PPL.

OK – I should have said “FAA PPL night privileges”.

It is incidentally possible to do an FAA PPL without the night privileges but it is very unusual.

It’s funny that the UK changed Rating to Qualification and now, 10 years later, it is being changed back to Rating

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neil, did you get a definte answer? I think it is a good question, and I did not find the answer in the regs, although I did not spend the whole night looking either.

The only thing I found is that it looks like if your CPL status is transferred to EASA status, then that will always come with the rights to fly at right.

As the night rating has just recently been detached from EASA IR, maybe not all regs are updated to take that into account.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

No I didn’t find anything definitive huv.
I believe that if you have sufficient night time logged on your foreign licence ( i.e. which exceeds the dual and P1 hours of the Night Rating) and you get a recommendation from the Head of Training of an ATO they will add a night rating, but I’ve not got a definitive answer.

I’m not sure I understand the bit

The only thing I found is that it looks like if your CPL status is transferred to EASA status, then that will always come with the rights to fly at right.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Of course I meant “fly at Night” ! but maybe it was not just the typo that confused you?

My point was that an EASA CPL always includes the right to fly at night. So with you having an FAA CPL, if that somehow gets you an EASA CPL, then your night rating is implied.

But I do not know if an FAA CPL is transferable to an EASA CPL just like that. I suspect it is not that simple.

Last Edited by huv at 28 Oct 07:33
huv
EKRK, Denmark

It’s funny that the UK changed Rating to Qualification and now, 10 years later, it is being changed back to Rating

The UK did not change it, that was Europe; JAA then EASA; but we know everything that comes from Europe is comical!

29 Posts
Sign in to add your message