Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rating Revalidation - Procedure and Timing

Hi,

So I’m about to reach my first two year period of having the SEP rating on my UK-issued EASA CAA PPL. I live in Germany. The rating would expire end of June.

I more than fulfill the minimum required hours of flying, flying as PIC and take-off and landings. In theory, I also fulfill the minimum one hour with an instructor (distributed across multiple check flights), though these haven’t all been signed or marked specifically in the log book. That’s not a problem because I’m planning to fly with an instructor within the next few weeks anyway, so I will make that the “official” one hour. Does it actually need a special marking/signing in the log book? I am assuming it can be ANY flight instructor and doesn’t need to be a UK CAA-approved one? That would make things more complicated, obviously.

What’s the procedure afterwards? I’m going to have to send in my license to Gatwick with the appropriate form and wait for… a couple of weeks? for it to be sent back, being grounded during that time? Depending on how long that takes, it might make sense to fly to London for a day to get this sorted in person…

Cheers

Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

You need an examinator for the actual revalidation.
I have found a local school with an examinator I use for this. After the hours and the instructor fligth I send of all the papers incl. the form ( I think it is SRG1118) from the CAA web site to this school. I pay them a small fee for this.
The examiner sign off the license, and send it back to me, and send the signed documents to the CAA.
I think you can use also the CAA for this, but then they will require a fee.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Does it actually need a special marking/signing in the log book?

No. He needs to sign it on the back of your license. But make sure beforehand, that a German instructor is allowed to sign an UK licence. In theory under EASA this should be the case, but I’ve heard other stories.

What’s the procedure afterwards?

There is a form that your instructor will fill out and that gets sent to the CAA together with a photocopy of the back of your license with his signature. Nothing else.
But the instructor who makes the training flight will know all that!

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Jan 19:57
EDDS - Stuttgart

You need an examinator for the actual revalidation.

No. As long as your license isn’t lapsed you don’t need an examiner, believe me! Only if you have in instrument or multi rating. For a normal SEP class rating all you need is a flight with an instructor.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hmm, maybe we wires crossed, Max… One sure needs an examiner for the normal SEP revalidation. The flight can be done by an instructor, but the paperwork must be done by an examiner. Under German JA-FCL implementation, the instructor could even do the paperwork (=sign the license), but no more under Part-FCL.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Jan 22:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I seem to remember something about the UK CAA and non CAA licensed EASA examiners. I think that the UK CAA required them to send proof of their examiner qualification, prior to any sign off.

I could be mis-remembering this (as it doesn’t apply to me). But you’re probably best putting your question directly to the CAA, as the international elements might change some such small details.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Ok – thanks all!

I will definitely double-check with the CAA. They’ve been pretty good at answering my emails so far.

Ideally, then, it would work like this:

• I’ll get the training flight done with ANY instructor (for the record, http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2701&pageid=15220 makes no mention of an examiner)
  • I’ll get the examiner who took my skills test two years ago here in Germany to do the paperwork. He made me pay for his “CAA”-qualification web training thingy, so I guess he can do a couple of signatures for me.
  • I’ll not be sending my license anywhere and will keep flying happily at all times.

I’m a UK CAA (EASA) Examiner.

For revalidation you need to present evidence that you have met the minimum criteria (12hrs last 12 months, hour with an instructor etc). The hour with an instructor needs to be a single flight with an EASA instructor which you must log as Pu/t. You need to find a CAA approved examiner (as your EASA license is issued by the UK) and provide evidence of your flight experience (logbook). The examiner will then complete a form SRG1119E or SRG1157 (you can find these online) which will require you signature. He will also revalidate your class rating in your licence by entering a new validity date; the 1119/1157 will then be sent to the CAA for their records.

There should be no cost and you will be able to continue with you flying unhindered during the process.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 26 Jan 06:33
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Thanks, Dave!

Are you sure, though, the requirement for the hour with an instructor being a single flight is still valid?

On the CAA webpage I referenced above, it reads (my bold):

completing 12 hours of flight time in SEP aircraft including 6 hours as pilot in command, 12 take-off and 12 landings, and up to three training flights totalling of at least 1 hour with a flight instructor or class rating instructor (or passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skills test in any other class or type of aeroplane) in the 12 months before the rating expires.

That clearly says it doesn’t have to be a single flight.

You get a similar issue with say the 250/300/whatever nm x/c flight for the CPL (both EASA and FAA) which “everybody” says has to be done in one go / in one day / whatever but actually that isn’t true either.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message