Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

June 7 and 8: G7 Summit in Southern Germany - NOTAM!

All of you who plan a flight to Southern Germany/Bavaria for Sunday Hune 7 and Moday June 8 – read this NOTAM! Absolutely no VFR flights in a huge region around Munich and towards the Alps most of the time on these two days.

Here’s the official NOTAM:

http://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/de/Services/Customer%20Relations/Kundenbereich%20VFR/08.05.2015.-%20Flugbeschr%C3%A4nkungsgebiete%20Elmau/AIP-SUP-ED-VFR_05-15_G7_Elmau_Flugbeschr%C3%A4nkungsgebiete.pdf

A bit strange. So why is flying IFR in VMC exempted from the restrictions?

“Request IFR transit….”

So why is flying IFR in VMC exempted from the restrictions?

Because IFR in Germany requires a flight plan and an ATC clearance and you will be under control all the time. I don’t think that you will be cleared onto a route that takes you anywhere near to that G7 event. Always far enough away so that the fighter planes can reach you before you will reach the site in case you deviate from your assigned route… What your actual flight conditions are is not really relevant.

EDDS - Stuttgart

James,

a quick “request IFR transit” via radio will get you exactly nothing in Germany.

It’s a different system than in UK.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I wonder if they would let me get home on a Y Flight Plan next Sunday … when i have to cancel IFR before landing. But I doubt it …

The AIP SUP states that only “flights conducted entirely under IFR” are excluded from the restrictions of the ED-R. Once you cancel IFR for landing at EDML, one is no longer flying IFR so I very much doubt too that this will work.

We will also be returning from a trip on Sunday and our current plan is to fly to a field outside Elmau Gesamt, maybe EDME or EDMV, and then continue on to EDML. Elmau Gesamt, the ED-R which includes EDML and Munich International is only supposed to be active until 16.00 UTC on Sunday while Schloss Elmau, the area directly around the conference location is active for the whole of the conference.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Yes, i had the same idea,16:00 Z is 18:00 LT and our homebase closes at 19:00 … so we can make it that way

Is there no Austrian NOTAM? It seems a little weird to have this huge restricted area to the north and essentially nothing to the south?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

There is an Austrian NOTAM (or AIP SUP) with pretty much the same content for the restricted area within Austrian airspace.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

If nothing else works I’ll land at EDMS and either hitchhike or take the train to get my car at EDML … ;-)

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message