Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Printing from an Ipad / Jeppesen FD printing (merged)

Looking at several models.

Which one of them would connect to an ethernet network switch, on which there is also an ethernet connected HP laser (non airprint A4 duplex printer), and talk to an Ipad2 over wifi (WPA/PSK) and enable full quality printing from the Ipad?

For example I have JeppTC demo and there is no print dialog on it that I can see. There is also no print dialog on Icabmobile browser. None on Memory Map. None in Goodreader. The only app I have which can print is PrintBureau and that cannot find the HP laser. It “finds” a colour laser which I chucked out a few months ago.

Do IOS apps expose a print dialog if a “compatible printer” is discovered?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not sure why you’d need hardware to do this, assuming you’ve a computer on the network as well, which presumably you have otherwise why have a printer?! On the Mac there is free/cheap software which has the OS share the printer for airprint which works very well, you just switch it on. I’m sure something similar exists for Windows. There is no setup on the iPad, you just click the print button (usually under the Share option, which on iOS 7 looks like a rectangle with an arrow coming out of it), choose the printer from a list and off you go.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I have the Xprintserver “Home”, enough for what i need to do … http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/xprintserver/xprintserver.html

You will find a list of compatible printers on their website.

It prints out everything full size on A4, but for me that is fine. And it works well.

Would I be right in that many or most IOS apps don’t have a Share option?

I am still on IOS6, due to many problem reports with the early 7 releases.

It prints out everything full size on A4, but for me that is fine. And it works well.

Does that mean there isn’t a normal printing dialogue e.g. how many pages per sheet?

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Nov 21:25
Administrator

Does that mean there isn’t a normal printing dialogue e.g. how many pages per sheet?

I have an HP Photosmart 5520 printer at home. If it’s turned off and I push the print button in iOS apps the print box pops up but there are no printers available.

When the printer is online, the only options I have is to print 2-sided papers or not. I can’t change the format, colors, quality, pages per sheet etc. As per the other thread (iPad trip kit) this is one of the main issues.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 09 Nov 21:46

>Does that mean there isn’t a normal printing dialogue e.g. how many pages per sheet?

Yes, you can select how many pages per sheet, but that’s about it.

I’ve found this so there are a few pointers to play with.

BTW after our software update here, the > is no longer used to start quotes. Please see Posting Tips. Just highlight the text to be quoted and use the Quote button

Last Edited by Peter at 09 Nov 23:11
Administrator

Can anybody confirm that any of the apps in this link (or any others) actually work, winXP SP3?

I have tried some apps like that before and they basically did not really work. Graphics didn’t print, and text was all over the place, with weird fonts and margins lost.

Administrator

When I print an approach plate, it is magnified to fill in an A4 page. Is there a way to print an A5 approach plate with the iPad?

I spoke to Jeppesen about this at a seminar last year. They just said it was a policy decision to not support printing. All one can do is print off one page at a time.

My take on it is that if they made printing easy and effective, people could easily share a subscription, via PDFs. Plenty of that goes on already and always has, but they don’t want to make it easier still. With the PC app (Jeppview) it is very easy to print a whole airport to a PDF, 2-up (A5 plates) or whatever you want.

I am not up to date on this (it was not possible when I tried it, and Apple had kicked PDF-capable Airprint emulators out of their app shop) but I believe there are now Airprint emulating PDF “printers” which can then lay out 2-up so you would get A5 that way. We had threads on it here – do a search on “airprint” to find a few. The printer may need to be connected to a PC, with the printer emulator running on the PC.

Android is the way to go for this sort of thing, but the Jepp apps test for a rooted device and refuse to run on one that is rooted. Not a big deal unless you like certain kinds of customisation.

Administrator
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message