Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taking my MU2 to Europe (Mode S EHS etc)

I would land at BIRK instead

Yes, agreed, I thought that is what I selected, but missed.

Going back I would route via BGSF. You will have a headwind and Narsarsuaq is just a magnet for bad weather.

I’ve been watching who flies in and our of BGBW and BGSF for a few weeks now. Almost everyone has used BGBW. Very few use BGSF. Only traffic this week through BGSF was a flight of 3 SR22s headed east. At least, that is all that showed up on Flightaware. By comparison, far more traffic through BGBW.

Mike C.

KEVV

Mike, I would recommend you download Skydemon on your iPad and pay the subscription… It is the Foreflight of Europe….good for VFR and IFR….

http://www.skydemon.aero

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

Yes; in countries where one cannot file “I” to certain airports (ones which don’t have an IAP) one has to cancel IFR at some point, and ATC will “increasingly encourage” you to do so.

In the UK this is not an issue; you can file “I” to your farm strip.

What if the farm strip is inside a control zone? Or what if ATC refuses to clear you lower than the MVA even if you are not on radar vectors so obstacle clearance is your responsibility and you know that the enroute safe altitude is lower than the MVA. It has happened to me.
But the more basic point is that even if you don’t [have to] cancel IFR on the radio, your original IFR clearance loses any practical meaning once you are in Class G. The only options you have are

land as planned
land eventually but without re-entering CAS

In the UK, Peter, in the UK!!!

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Feb 07:15
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Vieke wrote:

But when you depart VFR and you are cloud busting, you are VFR in IMC

No, you’re not. You are IFR by definition and that is expressly legal according to SERA. That some countries don’t want to admit this or do what they can to make it impractical is another matter.

What if the farm strip is inside a control zone?

Then you have to call up the controller there, obviously. Doesn’t change how you file.

Or what if ATC refuses to clear you lower than the MVA even if you are not on radar vectors so obstacle clearance is your responsibility and you know that the enroute safe altitude is lower than the MVA. It has happened to me.

No problem! You just “change frequency enroute” and you are off their back.

In the UK, Peter, in the UK!!!

Yes; that is what I was writing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

mciholas wrote:

Proposed destinations are, starting from UK each time:

Oslo, Stockholm, Munich, Berlin, Venice/Florence, Prague, Barcelona, Geneva/Lausanne, Dublin, Lille, Copenhagen.

By basing yourself in the UK (outside Schengen) you will encounter some issues with immigration many places in Europe. That could limit your choices of destinations.

LFPT, LFPN

Probably not if flying a MU-2. You won’t be doing small airfields in that. And I reckon Mike will prefer IFR capable destinations, for the simplicity and predictability of operations.

Assuming I want IFR as an option, I have rarely found the lack of customs/immigration to be a major issue. The last time I recall it was was for St Yan and Libourne (France) which I did in 2013.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I have rarely found the lack of customs/immigration to be a major issue

But that is only because you limit (severely) the choice of EuroGA flyin destinations

LSZK, Switzerland

mciholas wrote:

I’ve been watching who flies in and our of BGBW and BGSF for a few weeks now. Almost everyone has used BGBW. Very few use BGSF. Only traffic this week through BGSF was a flight of 3 SR22s headed east. At least, that is all that showed up on Flightaware. By comparison, far more traffic through BGBW.

It depends on the wind and weather. I have BGBW twice and BGSF once going westbound. Just remember BGSF is very reliable and almost always has clear weather due to the high. I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about what SR22s do.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

Then you have to call up the controller there, obviously. Doesn’t change how you file.

Filing? I was talking about being pressure to cancel IFR.

Sign in to add your message