Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney goes two doors!

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I wouldnt bother with doors at all. The old sliding canopy in a two or four seater has so many advantages and no disadvantages.

And, you know, with this nice paint scheme around the windows it is almost as beautiful as a TB20GT. Almost, Peter

http://www.avweb.com/videos/Video-Acclaim-Ultra-Rollout-225680-1.html

As to doors, as you may know, Diamond has found its own solution with one door for the back occupants and a forward hinging canopy for the people up front. I have to say I feel quite good about the high likelyhood of people getting out in whatever kind of emergency, water or land. For any critical minds: Yes, you can also get out if you are inverted on land. The back door has an emergency latch that opens the hinge on top, so effectively that door then just disconnects entirely from the airframe.

I should become a Diamond salesman when I grow up. Maybe that would reverse the GAMA statistics somewhat.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

The world would be a sad place if you or I ever grow up, Aart

The great privilege of not growing up is that life is fun while the toys just get more expensive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I prefer the sliding canopy, unlike the Diamond style which is of course superior to either doors or lifting canopy

PS – love the paint scheme!

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 12 Feb 21:49

Thanks guys for setting the record straight.

Both Acclaim and Ovation have been FIKI for a very long time. I believe Shorrick’s Ovation is fully FIKI too.

The new designators for the “Ultra” Models will be M20U for the Ovation Ultra and M20V for the Acclaim Ultra.

And yes, N240CV is a fully functional and flying airplane. It has accumulated some 20-25 flight hours so far. The 2nd plane which was seen in build on the video will be an Ovation M20U test airplane, which will go into certification parallel to the Acclaim V. Both should be available to be shown in finished form for Sun and Fun according to Tom Bowen and either be certified by then or shortly thereafter.

There are no figures available yet as to whether the M20V will sport a better payload but it has been hinted that the modifications and composite materials should give an improvement. It is unclear so far whether there are any speed improvements, but it might be possible due to the changed propeller and several aerodynamic cleanups.

I believe the confusion about the mock up was that the test airplane does not have the final cabin layout just yet, so a mockup of the cabin was presented during the roll out. The test airplane does have the full new avionic but not the new seats and interieur yet.

All in all 2015 was a good year for Mooney. When I talked to Tom Bowen at Friedrichshafen in April, he said they were expecting to deliver between 8 and 10 airplanes this year and according to GAMA this is exactly what happened: They delivered 8 Acclaims and 1 Ovation, all in all since the re-launch 9 Acclaims and 1 Ovation have left the factory. Their focus is definitly on development, with the M10 and now the updated M20. Having two series in development and certification is quite an undertaking.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I wouldnt bother with doors at all. The old sliding canopy in a two or four seater has so many advantages and no disadvantages.

Canopies have their own share of problems. A couple of years ago a well known flight instructor and CAA expert died in a Robin which flipped over and caught fire. Bystanders tried to help him and were even able to talk to him but were unable to turn the airplane back upside so the canopy could be opened.

That accident scared me sufficiently not to buy a HR 100 which I had my eyes on. I tried that canopy several times even upright and also found that in the case of a crash, a door, even a single door, is much easier to open. Canopies are fine if they have an emergency jettison, like on the Hunter or similar planes.I am wary of them if not.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Both Acclaim and Ovation have been FIKI for a very long time

Not true. You can get an after market TKS system for them, but they are not CERTIFIED for flight into known ice…. FIKI is a very specific capability that requires a lot more than just squirting TKS fluid on the wings.

Here are the specs for the current product, they don’t even list TKS as a factory install: http://www.mooney.com/en/M20TN.html

I do wish them luck, but there is no question these planes are cobbled together old-school designs and are overpriced – hence their low sales numbers. It seems the newer designs out of Chino have a better shot at claiming some market share, but the old Ovation and Acclaim would need a clean sheet restart to enter that realm.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 13 Feb 00:46

USFlyer,

you should really inform yourself before posting stuff which is simply wrong.

Both the Acclaim and Ovation have had FIKI approved de-icing since a very long time. Here is one for sale with full FIKI.

FIKI certified Acclaim for sale

This company offers after market installations for a range of Mooneys which all are FIKI approved.

https://www.caviceprotection.com/products-services/ice-protection-systems/mooney-fiki

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Apart from the just mentioned disadvantage if you find yourself belly-up after an accident, they have a clear disadvantage when it’s raining. But of course, if you only fly VFR…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Would it be possible to increase the engine power? 280hp from an engine that in the competition is normally rated 310hp ーwhy?

Personally, while I like mooneys and it is great to see production restart, i think that without a parachute it will be handicapped, so needs something truly differentiationg from the competition. A bit faster won’t do it, as Columbia has shown, a LOT faster might. A LOT faster and a chute – that would be more interesting.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message