Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suitable SEP IR tourer with FIKI and speed

M_D ecco…second column is serious injury.

Fatal Serious
PA18 1 1
PA28 1 9
PA28R 4 1
PA28RTC 0 0
PA24 2 0
PA32 5 2
PA32R 3 1
CE172 2 6
CE182 3 3
CE206 2 1
CE210 1 1
CE210T 3 3
BE33 3 0
BE35 4 11
BE36 4 1
BE36TC 2 2
Mooney 3 5
SR22 1 0
SR22T 0 0
114 0 0
TB20/21 0 0
DA40 0 0

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

…and the three turbine types TBM, PC12, and Meridian come up with no fatal/serious due to engine failure. The PA46 has 1 and 2 respectively.

Are the figures worldwide or US?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Good question, drilling down it looks like mainly US, this is NTSB – the US types may be picked up from accidents dealt by other agencies, but not sure about non US types. The PC12 has had some engine failures (Japan, Canada and Australia) but I believe without fatalities/serious injury.

RobertL18C wrote:

Good question, drilling down it looks like mainly US, this is NTSB – the US types may be picked up from accidents dealt by other agencies, but not sure about non US types.

If the operator was US based, it should be there. Those are the rules for involving accident investigators IIRC: you get agency from where it happened, where the operator is based (and the plane was registered) and where the aircraft was made.

Hi guys… i m a bit further on my quest…

I actually realised that FIKI is quite nice to have but in this small GA planes having this option is not as crucial as i actually thought before. Usually i have time to skip my plan or shift it by a day. otherwise a short term commercial ticket purchase still will be have the price of flying any GA aircraft, so its always a wise choice if WX is f+++ to leave it and go commercial. ==> that’s actually the most reliable option anyway, and far cheaper than going MEP or SET!!!

Anyway here is my question:

I have realised that for the first aircraft i would like to start simple and cheap and upgrade as far as my skills and ownership experience improves.

Therefore I have spotted two types, which i would like (costs and performance):

1) PA28RT201T
2)M20J 201
3)M20K 232 or 252

obviousöy turbo against non turbo and the m20K is a little bit off from the 1. and 2. but price not soo far away!!!

Is there anyone out there who as real flying experience against simple POH readouts? i am interested in climb, cruise and fuel flow and obviously TBO reaching potential for the engines ;-)

hope for some insights!!!

thx you

The three types listed are all ca. 200HP and the normally aspirated versions struggle to climb much above 14k’ vs the turbo versions…. in Europe it seems you get better routings and an easier time at say 12k’+ for this reason, although I absolutely love the M20J (201/205/MSE), I think the M20K is a better long distance IFR tourer ( in Europe)….if you don’t want a turbo then go for a higher HP aircraft such as the TB20 or F33A or C210 or Commander etc…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 30 Sep 13:51
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Regarding the PA28RT201T I had a flight in one this week off a 570m grass strip. 2 up and light on fuel. It was gone in half the runway, and it has an engine on TBO. It can land in the same distance. I took a video of both. I think the T-Tail is quite nice to fly in the air. I know it does 150kts true at F100, at around 12-13 USG.

I’m impressed, and I was ready to hate it!

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I’m not sure I would call a PA28RT201T simple and cheap……

As an all rounder the 252 is the strongest version with intercooler and 75 gallons. You, your passengers and your mechanic need to like Mooneys. If you want simplicity and don’t plan to fly above FL120 often the 201 is even better.

The slab wing 200 hp Arrow is a solid plane with quite good short strip credentials for a retractable. Most engineers can spanner an Arrow with reasonable predictability, while you wouldn’t want your engineer learning on a Mooney. Passengers might enjoy the more spacious interior, you basically sit a bit more upright. There are more of them out there. However a DR400 or GA Tiger will run close to an Arrow on cruise with real simplicity. The Arrow 201T is a bit of an orphan, neither fish or fowl (the 252 is designed to be operated as a turbo, not just as an add-on), and while you might find one very cheap it may have not received much TLC. The T-tail gives up some handling on a soft field take off (have not flown one, so this is just based on the T-tail being outside the prop wash).

The modern T182T is probably in the same budget as a good 252 and for your passengers may be preferable.

Sign in to add your message