Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Line Features - VMC

In theory we fly along line features by reference to our direction, but rotary pilots sit on the other side of the cockpit. I never considered it before, not being a rotary pilot, but I assume the same rules apply to both?

Despite their position in the cockpit, helicopters still turn right in the event of a head-on conflict, and therefore should still fly on the right of a line feature where possible.

(It’s no longer a rule, but it may be in some GM somewhere)

I don’t really understand the question – the idea to fly along a specific side of a line feature (right-hand side, correct? We are talking about the same thing?) IMHO is collision avoidance. That only makes sense if everyone considers the same rule – regardless of seating position.

Having said that, I wonder how much attention do people attribute to this rule? TBH, I have only ever flown along line features during training when navigating based on DR, and recently when flying the Hudson corridor (actually that was in class B, so not really an issue). In times of SkyDemon and GPS, I rather fly direct lines regardless of the flow of motorways and rivers…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick wrote:

I don’t really understand the question – the idea to fly along a specific side of a line feature (right-hand side, correct? We are talking about the same thing?) IMHO is collision avoidance.

Collision avoidance is only part of the idea. Another consideration is that since the pilot sits on the left, he can keep track of the feature more easy, so in that respect the question does make sense. However, helicopters flying on the other side would negate the collision avoidance impact of that rule .

bookworm wrote:

It’s no longer a rule, but it may be in some GM somewhere

Well it’s airmenship and best practise. Isn’t that enough “rule”?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

IFR – I Follow Roads
It works with Rivers and Railroad too.

ESMK, Sweden

mh wrote:

I have never heard about any such “rule”. Besides, in a Saab Safir, the PIC usually sits on the right. What about single seaters or tandems? Helicopters usually have good vis even straight down, or very close, so no need to go on either side.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’m with Patrick on this one. OK, the rule is to stay to the right of line features. But other than following a prescribed track, it would not cross my mind to fly along a road from A to B. We are aviators, so we can fly the most direct route from A to B – unless it is for sightseeing purposes. This is what I teach all my students as well.

EDDS - Stuttgart

mh wrote:

Collision avoidance is only part of the idea. Another consideration is that since the pilot sits on the left, he can keep track of the feature more easy, so in that respect the question does make sense. However, helicopters flying on the other side would negate the collision avoidance impact of that rule .

I had never thought of it that way. Thanks for pointing it out. I would still give a lot of precedence to the collision avoidance aspect. In any aircraft type I fly, I think it’s save to say that I would be just as ready to follow a road on the opposite side of where I’m sitting – not a big deal IMHO.

mh wrote:

Fair enough – but hence my question: How many people pay attention to this (be it because they think it’s a binding rule or because they think it’s good airmanship)?

I would do this whenever it makes sense (to me). Say, flying into or out of a control zone via marked VRPs that follow a motorway (e.g. Münster/Osnabrück with W, S and T).

I do not usually pay attention to it cross country – too many ground features, really, to pick from?

Last Edited by Patrick at 27 Oct 16:32
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

How many people pay attention to this (be it because they think it’s a binding rule or because they think it’s good airmanship)?

I usually do, and I am a great IFR pilot, at least according to the interpretation given earlier in this thread. As I understand things, it never was a rule anywhere except in UK. Certainly it was never mentioned in my training – which included the full PPL VFR ground class, pre-EASA – and when I mention it to fellow pilots, or even to instructors, none has ever heard of it; but most agree “if it does no good, it can do no ill”.

In fact I consider it “just another UK peculiarity” – but this one for once seeming a good idea, I gladly adhere. Doesn’t keep me from pointing the Mk1 eye-ball straight ahead, though, occasionally.

Tschüss, Patrick!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In the UK, the stuff about flying to the right of line features ranks at a level similar to knowing the signals square.

I have never given a moment’s thought to either, since I started flying in 2000.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message