Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What goes through your mind as you approach minimum on an IFR approach?

Interesting technical exchanges but I wonder how much of the OP question about what is going on in ones head when approaching minimums has been answered in 7 pages.

LSZH

Placido, hopefully you are totally focused on ensuring you are stable, on the localiser and glideslope and counting down to minima. Your training should emphasize going around at DA if the ALS and runway environment is not clear at DA. Some may have the capacity to have some Proustian moments but I think the overwhelming majority will just have enough capacity for the task at hand.

The FAA requires, used to require, an asymmetric limited panel non precision approach, and some examiners may require a limited panel ILS but I have only had to demonstrate the non precision. A limited panel, asymmetric ILS to minima for real might be interesting.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

placido wrote:

Interesting technical exchanges but I wonder how much of the OP question about what is going on in ones head when approaching minimums has been answered in 7 pages.

You make a good point. Other than remaining stable, in the last 100-200 ft I am usually mentally reviewing the critical steps in the missed approach for me. The exact sequence is aircraft dependant but it is always arresting descent, climb power to establish climb, lose drag, get some lateral and eventually vertical guidance.

EGTK Oxford

The FAA requires, used to require, an asymmetric limited panel non precision approach, and some examiners may require a limited panel ILS but I have only had to demonstrate the non precision. A limited panel, asymmetric ILS to minima for real might be interesting.

My FAA checkride was almost wholly partial panel. Hard work, but then I was flying 2x a day for the previous 2 weeks so was very current.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The discussion of ILS glideslope below the DH is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message