Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sea Plane Rating Scotland

not like the Fraser!

....Which when I flew from it last June was 8 feet higher than normal, and moving at 12 knots - that made the water work and ramping a challenge! BC is beautiful. The weather can be unwelcoming at times though.

Initial float flying is great, and will build your skills, even for landplane flying. You'll learn a couple of tricks which work on wheels too. It is the next phase of float training (which I'm not certain all candidates get) which is important though - where, when and how to land away from home. After 25 years of float flying, I still learn new things about that, and excite in new experiences doing it....

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

If you want to go to North America to fly floats, apparently Kenmore near Seattle is the place as they let you go solo whereas Jack Browns do not (apparently).
However if you are prepared to go to Seattle then I would recommend going to Canada because it is easy to get a temporary licence.
I went to Air Hart in Kelowna, got a temp licence from the airport (email 3 weeks in advance – send copies of licence and medical, produce originals when collecting licence).
Not only did I learn floats but mountain flying, and landing on rivers. And went solo after 5 hours. Fantastic.

Are any of the US places Part-141 schools? If not how do they work the visa issue, now you can’t just fly there and do a rating but need to get security clearance and a visa?

Andreas IOM

I don’t think a seaplane rating requires TSA approval (unlike an initial PPL or IR)…. In terms of a visa, I believe there is provision in the US immigration law that allows you to undertake a short course if it is incidental to your trip – ie while you are on vacation.. I think there is a limit on the number of hours per week or something but a seaplane rating wouldn’t go near it….BUT best to check with a US Embassy…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

A vast number of gigabytes have been used up debating the Visa and TSA stuff – much of which I have sadly read – and I don’t think the issue has ever been settled – beyond the banal and obviously wrong “advice” that all flight training in the USA needs both of them which a number of people have got from some ex Macdonalds worker in the US Embassy

The last I heard is that a “rating” should not need a Visa or TSA. You should be able to pop into any Part 61 school and just do them.

I believe the first link in this article is still mostly valid, and in any case it should illustrate the things to check out.

If you decide you need a Visa, you have to use a Part 141 school because only they can issue the I-20 which you need to get the Visa.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Jul 19:31
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message