Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cobham sells S-TEC and Chelton

here

This is probably good news for S-TEC since Cobham were totally uninterested in light aviation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They could downgrade their EFIS for smaller GA. That would be another competitor to Garmin.

United Kingdom

How hard can it be to rewind a roll servo for an S-TEC a/p? judging by the cost it must a VERY difficult job.

UK, United Kingdom

Trafford Rewinds

It would be only for homebuilt aircraft use, however (non-certified facility). I know they can rewind small motors of the type used in autopilot servos (typically this is the crappy Globe motor, or similar) but obviously have never used them for autopilots. They charge about £150.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter, it is interesting but I do not think I would dare use such a facility, however good they may be. S-TEC want around £5000 to supply a replacement!

UK, United Kingdom

Genesys Aerosystems was acquired by Moog in late 2020.

I went to the Genesys / S-Tec website today to check some details on the System 30, and noticed all the simpler GA autopilots (system 20, 30, 50, 60) are gone. Their STC list now only has the 55x, 3100 and 5000. Press releases are mainly about big stuff and helicopters, so certainly aligning there.

Documentation is still available from their support page, but how much actual support they will give to the fleet (beyond the 2yr warranty) is not mentioned anywhere.

ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

I went to the Genesys / S-Tec website today to check some details on the System 30, and noticed all the simpler GA autopilots (system 20, 30, 50, 60) are gone. Their STC list now only has the 55x, 3100 and 5000. Press releases are mainly about big stuff and helicopters, so certainly aligning there.

Garmin have destroyed them on the smaller GA aircraft by the much-better performing GFC500.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Arne wrote:

I went to the Genesys / S-Tec website today to check some details on the System 30, and noticed all the simpler GA autopilots (system 20, 30, 50, 60) are gone.

They tried to get rid of those a while back. When I inquired about a System 30 for my plane in 2013, they offered me the basic 55X for the price of the 30.

What is a pity is that most probably the altitude channels 30 and 60PSS are gone too, as they are the only way people can upgrade an existing single axis AP to two axis.

wigglyamp wrote:

Garmin have destroyed them on the smaller GA aircraft by the much-better performing GFC500.

True. and their 3xxx series did not meet those expectations. On the other hand, the Avidyne AP which plugs and plays into the 55x installation is a pretty interesting upgrade for those who have an STC for it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message