Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airports, yellow jackets, security, etc

This thread picks up from the Cortina thread

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So an airport without a policeman, genuine or imagined, is simply outside the thinking scope of the European bureaucrat.

That’s not an image that I recognise where I fly. A police man at an airport is a rare sight to me.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

That’s not an image that I recognise where I fly. A police man at an airport is a rare sight to me.

It doesn’t take a “policeman” to police pilots. The idea that airports can operate without a person present who watches over the movements, records from where to where and who, who will record any wrong doing and so on is foreign to most countries. That is why I said genuine or imagined.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

foreign to most countries

Not the US. No hi-viz vest Nazis needed round here. Or Australia. Or southern Africa. It’s a European thing (and even there only in parts).

Last Edited by 172driver at 26 Oct 04:32

An airport will have a “policeman” if it has Customs (meaning Customs/Immigration – a long debate since only in a few European countries the two functions are separated) so for example the Mali Losinj island has permanent police presence (probably H24). It’s a very effective way to run an airport because there should be security given that people are potentially parking 6- or 7-figure planes there. Vandalism is rare but does happen. In the USA it probably works (totally deserted airports) OK because the USA doesn’t suffer from the “envy” angle anywhere near as much as Europe does.

Outside Schengen (which is most of the world) airports without any police presence need PNR which is a hassle, or you cannot fly to them at all.

The Q is whether the police harrass you just for fun…

Yellow jackets are just daft. They came in for railway workers many years ago for good reasons but no risk assessment makes sense for them to be worn at airports.

I do hope that Italian airport re-opens. Actually there are many disused runways around the place, still intact after many years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

…but no risk assessment makes sense for them to be worn at airports.

There are certain environments where they actually make sense. Pilots have been run over by ground vehicles at night, especially because the dark-blue uniforms are sort of optimum camouflage in the dark. When I was flying night freight I wore a high-viz jacket out of sheer self-preservation. Being parked at some dimly-lit cargo apron and surrounded by vehicles like fuel bowsers, handling agent’s vans and forklifts makes you want yourself to be seen…
But during daylight around small aircraft? Certainly not. But apart from the UK, no one really expects you to wear them under these conditions.

Peter wrote:

I do hope that Italian airport re-opens.

I also hope that every closed airport reopens (especially Berlin Tempelhof!) and those still open remain open. But let’s be realistic. This one here is a daylight-VFR-summertime only place. Everything else will make it really expensive, especially winter operations. Snow removal from the runway and apron(s), ground de-icing for aircraft and/or hangarage are labor-intensive and therefore costly. Those costs will have to be divided among the handful of lightplanes which will come to visit the place in winter. Those who bring real money, bizjets and small commercial charters, will require this airfield to be upgraded radically, probably beyond what is financially possible. Looking at google maps, the apron is just large enough for one 50-seater commuter or three bizjets. What kind of income can be generated from that?

Google Maps URL

[URL edited because the URL parser here gets confused by some unusual URL characters]

Last Edited by what_next at 26 Oct 08:54
EDDS - Stuttgart

I agree with what_next re yellow fluo jackets. After seeing a rampie squished flat at night by a pallet loader, I wanted to stick a yellow rotating beacon on my head as well. Are they always needed – no, but do we really want a a working commission and a supervisory commission drafting a thick binder specifying where on the apron to put it on, at what time, in what type visibility…. etc? There’s enough trees cut down already.

Have it handy, if someone says something – put it on. Problem solved. There are a lot more important problems in GA than hi viz jackets.

dublinpilot wrote:

That’s not an image that I recognise where I fly. A police man at an airport is a rare sight to me

In places where a flight plan submission to government is mandatory for every flight, I’d assume the police can monitor any legal flight operation without getting out of their chairs.

Silvaire wrote:

In places where a flight plan submission to government is mandatory for every flight, I’d assume the police can monitor any legal flight operation without getting out of their chairs.

Wrong assumption I’d say. Also we usually do not submit flight plans to the government but to an ANSP which is typically private company (with state ownership). The purpose of flight plans in Europe is to coordinate SAR.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It doesn’t take a “policeman” to police pilots. The idea that airports can operate without a person present who watches over the movements, records from where to where and who, who will record any wrong doing and so on is foreign to most countries. That is why I said genuine or imagined.

While most places that I land will have someone around, I’ve certainly landed at many places (perfectly legally) where there was nobody but sheep around. Isn’t it just Germany that requires the presence of a human on the airfield to make the movement legal (and safe!).

There are plenty air places in Ireland and the UK where you can land with nobody around. French airports don’t seem to close at “closing time”; it’s just the staff that go home, but you can still land and take off there. I’m less familiar with the other European countries, with only occasional visits.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

All flight plans, VFR and IFR, get copied into “secret” databases, for search/rescue and national security reasons.

Otherwise, if say you filed EGKA-EGMD and vanished between the two, they would not have the plan unless they contacted the airports, which might be closed by then.

I bet the US does the same.

True but they want to do “intelligence”-based spot checks that the people actually on the plane have passports etc.

There are plenty air places in Ireland and the UK where you can land with nobody around. French airports don’t seem to close at “closing time”; it’s just the staff that go home, but you can still land and take off there. I’m less familiar with the other European countries, with only occasional visits.

You can do that in the UK, for sure, with the landowner’s permission. Nobody knows about those flights, same as nobody knows about your driving.

(Germany is one exception)

Well except the cellular network logs your location every 10 mins, for ever, and google logs your android device location, for ever And Thuraya’s satellite gets your satphone GPS position and sends it to the NSA – that would have been implicit in Hughes getting the export license.

A thread drift, so does anyone want to start a thread on airport security?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message