Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A pilot watch (mechanical, of course)

I use what Peter might describe as a Hipster watch.

Set to UTC, avoids embarrassment when travelling across time zones especially in summer time.

I only wear it on flying days, and during flight I tend to wear it on the bottom part of the arm, as it’s more easily visible.

Personally, my preferred watch is one of these.

Tough, costs two balloons and a frog, keeps time well, has a stopwatch.

Edit: I see Noe agrees :-)

Last Edited by alioth at 17 Feb 15:38
Andreas IOM

Noe wrote:

I use what Peter might describe as a Hipster watch.

Now you buy a Nokia mobile phone to complement it and Peter will grant you lifetime gratis use of his TB20
I still prefer the invisible and weightless watch that I always wear, flying and non flying… Also the battery never goes flat and you get an even tan on your forearm.

EDDS - Stuttgart

So, nobody has bought the Breitling?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think there are lots of places on this planet where they will rescue you only to get hold of that watch and cut your throat instead. Better not to have one.

Last Edited by what_next at 17 Feb 17:48
EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter wrote:

I save money for fuel

LFPT, LFPN

Martin wrote:

Peter wrote:
and most “nice” automatic watches use the Valjoux/ETA 7750
That won’t be the case anymore (or for long). IIRC, Swatch won’t supply them anymore to competition. I don’t know the details as, for example, Sinn still seems to offer watches with this movement, but several new were developed as a result to replace the 7750.

There is a replacement in the Sellita SW500 which is steadily taking over. The ETA/Valjoux 7750 is very good though.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I am surprised nobody it mention here but every second airline pilot I saw uses some version of citizen skyhawk. I have super skyhawk JDM and it’s probably the best watch in the world for the money. You can easily change time zones, radio controlled, solar charged, titanium, sapphire, utc time, light, ect…

Does it come with a magnifying glass?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I don’t have problems reading it as the print quality is good. It’s quite a big watch also. And as you can see it has mechanical computer :)

Sign in to add your message