Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turbine Lancair crushes Eclipse

Look at how quick the Lancair get’s off the ground in this entertaining, but not very scientific, clip. Lancair climbs at 200kts indicated and does 4000ft/min!

Like that was a surprise….

EGTK Oxford

Fun !!

The long thread on the Evolution is here

A pity it is almost useless in Europe.

I was watching one on FR24 today, doing one of it’s usual flights at a low VFR altitude, burning tons of fuel…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The aircraft in the video isn’t an Evolution… it isn’t even a “stock” Lancair, if there is such a thing…

It is a Lancair ES (two-seater) with a turbine, reinforced with a beefed-up spar structure, an enlarged stabiliser, and several layers of extra carbon fibre on the wings, to strengthen it for air racing. If it can keep power into the flight levels and doesn’t suffer from flutter, it would be faster than an Evolution, although not pressurised…

Biggin Hill

Actually, it is a Lancair Legacy RG (with modifications).

My uncle built a Legacy FG with the smaller engine. It is a very nice aircraft and a fantastic travelling machine! We did a nice long trip from Canada to Arizona and used 63.6 usg total for 1125 nautical miles (17.7nm/usg); which is 24.4sm/imperial gal. Not bad for 165 knots at 10k feet!!

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

For anybody intererested, the orange and white fire bomber in Canuck’s photo is a Convair Privateer, the Navy single fin variant of the Liberator. I used to fly among a couple as a young student pilot, mainly trying to stay out of their way.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 May 15:20

A Walter turbine Lancair VI claiming 310TAS at FL280 on 28USGPH (around M0.55?) on sale on Beechtalk for $499k. Looks in excellent condition with only 370SNEW.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message