Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin handheld aviation GPS business - the end?

Part of my point above was that Garmin have already stopped developing aviation-specific GPS hardware. They use consumer-grade models loaded with aviation software, so the hardware development cost is, effectively, zero. I was told that the smaller Garmin Aera models are/were rebadged Garmin Nuvi automotive GPS units. Of course, I can see a point where Garmin think there is no point in even doing that and will consolidate their portable device efforts solely on Garmin Pilot.

EGTT, The London FIR

what_next wrote:

although these are also rapidly being rendered obsolete by the smartphone

Not hiking GPS’es, marine GPS’es etc. They ar sold en mass for a variety of reasons. Hiking GPS’es are rugged and runs on “dry batteries” (or whatever it is called in English, ordinary off the shelve throw away batteries). Marine GPS’es usually are rugged and salt water resistent, and are often combined with a sonar, and other stash. Actually more like an EFIS than a GPS when thinking about it.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Not hiking GPS’es, marine GPS’es etc. They ar sold en mass for a variety of reasons. Hiking GPS’es are rugged and runs on “dry batteries” (or whatever it is called in English, ordinary off the shelve throw away batteries). Marine GPS’es usually are rugged and salt water resistent, and are often combined with a sonar, and other stash. Actually more like an EFIS than a GPS when thinking about it.

Same for motorcycle GPS’s. I’ve tried using an iPhone with the Sygic GPS program on a motorcycle. I find it a good GPS program in many ways, not least because you can download map databases by European country very quickly any time you have a WiFi signal, much the same as you download data for Foreflight in the US. However, in motorcycle GPS servce the iPhone overheats if you’re not careful, isn’t waterproof, has issues with the security of the 5V charge cord and all the rest. I’ve found it a less forgiving environment than a light aircraft, where I can make an iPad work reliably.

Obviously iPad & iPhone development is a world unto itself, but it would be great if there was a ‘hardened’ iPad to run any kind of program that might require it, in any environment that might require it… Foreflight, Garmin Pliot, Skydemon etc inside a plane included (Foreflight only runs on iOS)

I don’t care if it meets a documented aviation standard as long as it works in all kinds of harsh environments.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Jun 18:20

I own a Garmin 696 which I thought was the cat’s meow when I bought it. I went flying for four days last week and didn’t take it with me. SkyDemon on an iPad mini with GPS were all I needed. A further issue is the awkward updating of data bases on Mac computers…. So the answer is that Garmin portables may well be finished, especially considering the subscription prices to keep the data bases current.

Tököl LHTL

Well I just bought a Garmin Aera 660 and I think it’s splendid.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I have a Garmin 795 panel-mounted and linked to my GTN 750. It gets the current flight plan from the 750 and power from the aircraft. If I had a complete electrical failure I’d have a current flight plan, 4 hrs+ of battery and the Jepp charts still available, plus my yoke-mounted iPad mini. Can’t have too many back-ups…

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

If I did not have my 795 I would be rushing to the shop for a 660. Unlike tablet solutions my Garmins ( I have owned every model since the GPS100 ) have never let me down. iPad is my second choice.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

@Peter_Mundy I’d like to second that….my 795 is wonderful and it keeps on getting cleverer. When paired by bluetooth to a Garmin GDL39 3D (AHRS etc) it give me a reliable backup AI on my 795 (with synthetic vision if I want it) in case my vacuum pump fails. It is also paired by cable to my Powerflarm Portable and now shows three different sources of traffic (ADSB out, Transponder and Flarm) on the 795’s screen.

A tablet doesn’t do it for me. I use the wonderful Skydemon on PC for all my flight planning which I print on paper. I don’t fly with Skydemon running on anything. The 795 is just more serious – doesn’t crash, sunlight readable, doesn’t overheat, does lots of clever things that Skydemon doesn’t do.

If I had a wish it would be that NOTAMs near my route showed on the 795 screen and alarmed when necessary, but I can cope without that : I mark them in big red pencil on my paper charts. I still look at charts when I fly. They work best for me for situational awareness when used in conjunction with a GPS.

If I had another wish it would be that the Powerflarm-supplied cable connection to the 795 carried through the 795’s sound output to my plane’s intercom. Instead, the Powerflarm is connected by cable to the intercom’s only input and the 795’s sound output therefore has no way of getting to the pilot. So I lost the 795’s audio prompts when I bought the Powerflarm. ( I wonder if the 795 can connect by bluetooth to my A20 headset…Hmmm.)

I also have a GNS530W to act as certified GPS, drive my autopilot, and for approaches and for frequencies and for terrain when necessary, but it provides little situational information for VFR flight.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

@Howard – would a Y cable solve the audio problem – 2 females and 1 male plug? The GDL39 is great but Without regulation to make ADSB out compulsory the traffic display is no benefit. The AHRS function is great.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I’m interested to hear why the 795 owners on here went down this route rather than Garmin Pilot (not Skydemon) on an iPad Mini or whatever.

They are essentially the same in terms of the underlying software, but the 795 hardware is far more primitive (thicker, heavier, slower, lower-res), and you could have triplicate spare iPads for the same cost.

Aside from robustness concerns over an iPad, which I’ve just never had an issue with myself, the only benefit I can see of the 795 is that it has Jepp plates rather than AIP.

Last Edited by at 29 Jun 06:48
Sign in to add your message