Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engines, avionics, etc stolen from aircraft

Just read somewhere that 20 Rotax engines have been stolen this year so far (not sure if that is UK only). Six were found in one shipment in Italy, which is interesting. Those were not going into go-carts…

Presumably you can’t install a stolen engine onto a UK LAA plane, unless the S/N plate is modified.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Those were not going into go-carts

Yours truly never said anything else… Biting my keyboard to state nothing about the S/N “issue” …

Last Edited by at 05 Oct 19:55
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Aren’t the 912/914 family of engines also common to snow-mobiles?

No, these are aircraft-engines solely for aviation use. What you probably mean is http://www.ski-doo.com/ , which is also a Division of Bombardier.

EDLE

Is ISIS building drones? This is just so bizarre…..

Isis has carried out a drone attack early October, two Kurdish militia dead and two French paras wounded.

Recently some safety parachutes from MERTENS were stolen out of the clubhouse in Wershofen, Germany. It would be mighty nice if you’d keep your eyes open for

Mertens Safety Parachutes Typ 12/82 23RI:

03 – 224154
05 – 224865
08 – 225899
14 – 227353 (mit Aufziehleine, Farbe: blau)

Thank you.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

David Clark H10-13X
AH100 headset
GPS 12XL ( a sentimental backup – it’s been all around the world with me )
GPS 496 in a coaming mount.

Stolen along with monolith flight case, log book, flight manuals, sectional charts, study notes.

Bastards broke the window on my truck in hotel parking lot, Wirral, North Cheshire UK within about 5 minutes of me parking up.

It's not rocket science!

News is going around the UK that 30 Rotax engines were stolen in 2016. Then 7 more were stolen in Jan 2017.

Since (as stated above) these are sold into the aviation market, it does speak volumes for the “communities” that are buying them… these are not small numbers. Clearly an awful lot of builders are happy to buy a “discounted” engine with no questions asked, and are confident that they operate with a sufficiently low profile that nobody will check.

I wonder where they are. Is that possible under the UK LAA regime?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My friend @Patrick_K ‘s Commander was broken into at Fairoaks over last weekend and they stole the G600, radios, GPS’s, cut wires and made untold damage. Looks like they were trying to steal the whole panel, but when they couldn’t, they broke it up. Something must have interrupted them or spooked them because they left the right hand MFD in. Plane was serviced by GAMA there, and they discovered the break-in, but don’t think it was inside the hangar when it happened. Doesn’t seem like the thiefs knew about Garmin gear specifically, as they left AHARS etc.

So be careful around Fairoaks. Maybe it was just a one-off yob, or maybe there’s more to come. And if you see some really cheap G600 and GPS’s for sale, check the serial numbers.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 03 May 14:47
Sign in to add your message