Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do some people tell lies about their flying?

It turns out we had a poster here, “TBM_Driver”, who was a reincarnation of one who got banned not long ago, so I cleaned up the thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I agree with WP. I’ve been NOT reading the PP thread since day 2. The LAA gave the award without due diligence. Awards are often given to honour the donor rather than the recipient. No glory for the donor now, so rescind the award.
I admire Bob Dylan, who presumably was not consulted before his Nobel award.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

who presumably was not consulted before his Nobel award.

The laureates are never forewarned.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I spoke to one pilot recently who bumped into TCT’s expedition somewhere and apparently there was no attempt to conceal anything at that point.

So it looks like it was the UK end where the solo claim came under scrutiny.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems that some of the people raging about honesty and the truth had other motives they did not make clear for the vendetta. Ethics ideally should be at the core of decision making, but as soon your proclaimed moral superiority becomes a club to beat someone, you cease being a moral exemplar if you ever were one. Ethical behavior can be charismatic when it is not a weapon. What she did (at least what I understand she did) simply doesn’t rise to the level where it deserves this sort of public humiliation. An honest person would have smiled and shrugged because much of decency involves ignoring minor transgressions in other people trying to live their lives.

This becomes a more difficult problem when you witness acts that are criminal or could cause serious harm to others. Acting to stop it in that case is probably your unpleasant obligation, but I don’t think this case gets near that threshold. Someone more deserving didn’t get an honor? We’ll, life is tough and and unfair. Get used to it! I don’t believe the other candidate got involved in this squabble at all.

Tököl LHTL

Someone (lady) might one want to re-enact the flights of my great grand cousin, Marga von Etzdorf, i.e. her flight from Berlin to Tokyo, in 1926 I believe, in an open Junkers with nothing than an altimeter, and an old fashioned radio. She made it in 11 days, via Russia, along the track of the trans siberian railroad.

And that was without anything in the likes of ground support, modern air charts or satellites, and certainly with no other person on board.

I find it disturbing that someone would just act as if, with all the technical gizmos available today, so I guess rescinding the medal is the least they could do.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 29 Oct 11:34
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

Someone (lady) might one want to re-enact the flights of my great grand cousin, Marga von Etzdorf,…

I think that would not be such a smart idea. When it became clear that her second record flight attempt (the first one had already ended badly during the return) would become a failure as well she shot herself rather than be shamed. Nobody wants failed or shamed or shitstormed record flying ladies to shoot themselves in 2016!

EDDS - Stuttgart

Just visited her web site. Nowhere does it say she flew solo. In fact what she say is:

The Cape Town to Goodwood flight took two months to complete with 38 stops. Tracey was
supported by a second aircraft; a Cessna Caravan provided by Phoenix Aviation of Nairobi,
which carried a logistics manager, an engineer and a four-man film crew.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

She didn’t shoot herself for the failed landing. It’s the common story but that wasn’t the reason.

At that time Germany was heavily burdened and suffering under the Versailles treatment and certain things were not allowed. Getting caught redhanded didn’t appeal to her and so she protected the country by that final act.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 29 Oct 14:32
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

“Mr Gritsch dismissed the claims as “absolute nonsense. People are talking about things they don’t understand”.

“You can’t start the engine in the front. All the flying is done by the pilot in the rear, as is normal in vintage aircraft”.

“It’s quite simple — Tracey did all the flying, and all the organisation. She was the leader”.

“People are just assuming a female is not as capable as a man. That’s very sad.”y

“He added: “If I wanted to fly a vintage aeroplane, I have five at home.”

Ewald has now made comment. See above. TCT, as I thought, has come out and said that the original misquotes, were exactly that, and she cannot possibly correct, or reply to everything. Needless to say the lynch mob, slightly caught and stunned by the responses, are turning on Mr Gritsch. Unedifying does not begin to describe the situation.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message