Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ANY installed transponder must be turned ON

In the US, some installers did not wire in the serial interface and the GTX 330ES would emit position data but since the ARINC interface did not have any of the other required data, these installations are easily spotted and are identified by the FAA as Non Performing Emitters (NPE).

I doubt anybody here in Europe would notice

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Those with certified ADS-B In systems certainly would not notice, as the NPE are invisible to them.

KUZA, United States

They would simply assume that the other pilot turned it off so he can be invisible for whatever reason

You only need to read EuroGA to see a large % of GA here will turn it off.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Why wouldn’t they? I am sorry, but I just can not understand these statements. We aren’t inferior to my knowledge, or are we?

Peter wrote:

You only need to read EuroGA to see a large % of GA here will turn it off.

I don’t understand this. Switching of an transponders seems a typical UK thing, based on reading your experiance. I don’t see lots of EuroGA pilots saying that they would switch off there transponder or ADS-B. I did see some discussion on it, wouldn’t call this a large % of GA.

Aircraft flying without transponder / or transponder off in the Netherlands are very rare.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I posted a little survey on a French forum just for fun. We’ll see what it comes up with.

LFPT, LFPN

these installations are easily spotted and are identified by the FAA as Non Performing Emitters (NPE).

The FAA is running a programme to monitor nationwide ADS-B emissions, for this compliance?

Is there such a monitoring programme here in Europe? Nobody is monitoring even basic Mode S stuff. You can fly with a totally misconfigured transponder (somebody else’s 24-bit code, and a non-corresponding tail number) and nobody will ever notice. And many have done that, accidentally.

BTW, if a Mode S transponder is used to radiate ADS-B (as the case would usually be) where does one config the aircraft data? Is it still in the usual Mode S txp config fields?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Nobody is monitoring even basic Mode S stuff. You can fly with a totally misconfigured transponder (somebody else’s 24-bit code, and a non-corresponding tail number) and nobody will ever notice. And many have done that, accidentally.

In the Netherlands this is monitored, and they will send you a letter when it is misconfigured. They will ask you to go to an avionics shop and have it checked out. I have seen a couple of these letters.

Peter wrote:

where does one config the aircraft data? Is it still in the usual Mode S txp config fields?

If you mean FID and AA and airspeed range etc, yes that would be in the same fields because this is basic mode S. For ADS-B You can enable the ports and set integrity level.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Peter wrote:

The FAA is running a programme to monitor nationwide ADS-B emissions, for this compliance?

Is there such a monitoring programme here in Europe? Nobody is monitoring even basic Mode S stuff. You can fly with a totally misconfigured transponder (somebody else’s 24-bit code, and a non-corresponding tail number) and nobody will ever notice. And many have done that, accidentally.

BTW, if a Mode S transponder is used to radiate ADS-B (as the case would usually be) where does one config the aircraft data? Is it still in the usual Mode S txp config fields?

Yes, the US has established a monitoring system See https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/ and https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/levels/ . The latter is updated monthly and shows equipage and how many are NPE. The data fed to a compliant ADS-B system comes from configuration information (SIL, SDA, dimensions, Registration and ICAO ID) and dynamic information, mostly from the position source (NACp, NACv, NIC, latitude and longitude, geometric altitude, velocity, vertical velocity) or connected devices such as the pressure altitude or attached TCAS system and other data is internal for a 1090ES system, for example (squawk code, ident, RA). All told there are 19 message elements that are required to be included in the ADS-B message. Note that some, for example pressure altitude and squawk code are also provided in normal transponder operation. They are duplicated in the ADS-B message to assist the ground system to match up the ADS-B position with a secondary radar position.

Every flight is recorded and can be retrieved by the FAA monitoring and compliance system. A report can be requested from the FAA to determine if the installation is compliant.

Edit: If one has an ADS-B system that is independent of the transponder (UAT), it must use the identical pressure altitude source and the transponder specific data must be automatically provided to the ADS-B Out system. This is accomplished via a separate serial interface to the transponder, or lacking such an interface is extracted from a sniffer built in to the Garmin devices (transmit on 1030MHz, listen to ownship transponder reply on 1090 MHz). Other companies use an RF sniffer that is wrapped around the transponder cable and extracts the transponder information.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 19 Jan 23:12
KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

Every flight is recorded and can be retrieved by the FAA monitoring and compliance system. A report can be requested from the FAA to determine if the installation is compliant.

Yep, it looks like this.

EGTK Oxford

What brilliant info posted above – thank you!

Administrator
Sign in to add your message