Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N-reg in Germany - is a German radio license required?

True but there is always the first time for everything – in France, I have taken to avoiding airfields with FR seuillement on the plates after the threat of legal action after I used English whilst landing at Sarrebourg.

Steve, please share more details. Who exactly threatened you? And how did he/she threaten you? Some uninformed bloke just yelling around is one thing. A written letter by some official authority is something different.

Sarrebourg is NOT french-only according to the ATLAS VAC.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Here on EuroGA we have had extensive discussions about French-only airports. The eventual consensus was that — as individual countries have no right to impose additional requirements over the EASA regulations — you do not need a French language proficiency rating, but you do need to be able to speak French.

So my questions is again why a German language proficiency rating (or German RTF license) would be necessary to use a German-only airport, as long as you can speak German.

Airborne,

That’s because these are two very different things. One is a licensing regulation, the other is a radiotelephony regulation.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Feb 22:08
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

That’s because these are two very different things. One is a licensing regulation, the other is a radiotelephony regulation.

So Austrian or German-speaking Swiss pilots can’t use GE-only airfields either, then? It’s a strange world.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No, GE-only refers to the language spoken, not to the license of the pilot or radio operator. So you’re legal with a croatian PPL, EN language proficiency and a few phrases german, but I doubt anyone would complain if you actually use english. Or nothing if you don’t dare to talk in english.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Sarrebourg is NOT french-only according to the ATLAS VAC.

That is correct. A/A 123.50 is the MULTICOM frequency that anyone in French airspace can use anywhere for communication between aircraft. This frequency is used as CTAF at airfields that do not have a discrete frequency assignment. When using this frequency as CTAF (or whatever it is called in Europe – I guess in France it would be “Information”) you need to be clear about the airfield at which you intend to land because there may be multiple airfields within radio range that use the same frequency.

The VAC also says that the field is reserved for aircraft with radio.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 22 Feb 07:34
LFPT, LFPN

mh wrote:

No, GE-only refers to the language spoken, not to the license of the pilot or radio operator. So you’re legal with a croatian PPL, EN language proficiency and a few phrases german,

That’s would I would have thought, but Boscomantico seems to disagree?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Feb 09:02
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message