Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Annual avionics inspections (Germany) - Where do you have them done?

This question might relate to Germany-based members only:

D-registered planes have to undergo an annual inspection of their avionics which is a prerequisite for the IFR-certification. So far I had this inspection done at a well know avionics shop in South-Eastern Germany but their prices for this relatively simple task which also does not take long to perform have reached “interesting” levels. For a well equipped plane the bill for such a check is well above 1.000 EUR.

Hence my question: By whom do other forumites have these checks on their planes performed and how much do those companies charge?

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Hi RXH,

sorry to be slightly OT but for our G-registered I requested a quote at the local shop in EDKB who also did the GTN750 install and they quoted me EUR1.500+ including instruments. I respectfully declined after I was quoted GBP120 for the avionics from a respected shop in Southend.

EDLN and EDKB

Given that the usefulness of this check is somewhere close to zero, use the cheapest guy no matter how bad he is. The prices will be similar but I negotiated a discount on my airplane due to the large number of devices. There is competition because airplanes can aehm. fly.

It is also possible to label certain instruments that are not in the MEL as INOP. This allows me to keep the 3rd altimeter without paying for it every year. For my extensively equipped airplane, I pay around 800 € which is 700 € more than I would like to pay.

I made a few phone calls and found price differentials of over 25%. Unfortunately, it seems, it gets cheaper the further away from my home field the avionics shop is. So it becomes a trade-off between the cost of the avionics shop and the cost of the avgas to get there and back minus the pleasure of having an excuse to do a day-long cross country trip.

@achimha: Which shop do you use?

I might still consider going G-reg one day …..

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

The price looks quite strange to me. During my annuals in the UK, I get all the avionics (radios, VOR, ILS, ADF, DME, transponder and marker beacon receiver), as well as two altimeters and an ASI, checked by the engineer. It takes about an hour, maybe two at a leisurely pace, and costs £120. As far as I understand, nothing would preclude a British engineer from certifying the avionics for the German LBA – or is there a catch beyond the usual EU regulations?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It takes about an hour, maybe two at a leisurely pace, and costs £120. As far as I understand, nothing would preclude a British engineer from certifying the avionics for the German LBA – or is there a catch beyond the usual EU regulations?

It takes less than an hour here but it costs me 800 €. Yes, the avionics company needs to be Part 145 and accredited by the German LBA. It’s utter nonsense, a pure job creation scheme but nothing you can do against it. When talking to the people benefiting from this, they will tell you that in 1987 they checked an aircraft where the VOR was 12° off, etc. You get the usual crap, only the German way is the right way, it’s important for safety and whether the rest of the world see it differently is irrelevant.

I might still consider going G-reg one day …..

I think you’re just trading one problem for a bunch of others. I researched regulation arbitrage in EASA land and overall, the German LBA is one of the most liberal / cost effective. The CAA won’t buy you anything really, the 150h check and the less liberal TBO policy are a big minus. If you really want to move, N seems to be the way. The savings in avionics checks already pays for the trust with some extra change.

I might still consider going G-reg one day

only the German way is the right way, it’s important for safety and whether the rest of the world see it differently is irrelevant.

Most (or maybe even all) European countries have some form of avionics and pitot static testing. So does the FAA. Moving from one reg to another might benefit with this, only to find out to have trouble with something else.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message