Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Premature Camshaft / Cam Follower failure

I remove the screen every 25h when I change the oil and cut open the filter. It is a trivial task to do. Oil is sent to the US for testing, costs about $15 per sample.

It’s not only great for Lycoming that your engine broke, it’s also great for the shop that did the rebuild! So much business to be made…

I was told you can send in your crankcase and they will modify it to accept roller tappets

Interesting – but still seems a game of ‘Russian Roulette’.
How the hell did Lycoming get their engine ‘certified’ back in the 60’s in the first place ?

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Oil is sent to the US for testing

Heard (read) Peter H saying he sends an oil sample to the USA.
Something else ‘unbelievable’.
No company in Europe?, better still in the UK, capable of doing an oil analyses ? !!!
How do F1 Teams get on, Marine Engine people, MIRA and the oil companies R&D departments ?

No company in Europe?, better still in the UK, capable of doing an oil analyses ? !!!

There is a company near Munich offering such service. Have not tried them but I will use them when the next oil change is due.

Link

Link fixed

Last Edited by RXH at 18 Sep 12:27
RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Link at #54 did not work !!

Reason: Segment “home.bq” was not a keyword for a postVarSet as expected on page with id=1.

The European companies are very expensive. I used one in Germany and it was excellent but charged €75. I rather get a simpler analysis for $15. Mailing the sample to the US costs me €3.50.

Spectro in Odiham South of London does my oil analysis. I think it costs £55. They seem very professional.

Www.spectro-oil.com

Tel: +44 (0) 1256 704000

EGNS/Garey Airstrip, Isle of Man

Just another thought.
Flying an aircraft gives the pilot enough to think about without also having to think “is all this ‘tearing’ my £40k engine to pieces”.
How would drivers get on on the motorways / autobahns etc. if they were told their front suspension / steering could fail at anytime.
Bit of a silly comparison, but sure you all can see where I’m coming from.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 18 Sep 12:14

The European companies are very expensive. I used one in Germany and it was excellent but charged €75. I rather get a simpler analysis for $15. Mailing the sample to the US costs me €3.50.

Where do you buy those kits? Aircraftspruce.eu?

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Yes, this one although I got loads of them in the US where it was a little bit cheaper. I don’t see a reason to pay €75 a kit for a European firm. Sample takes 10 days via normal mail and then results come promptly via email.

Sign in to add your message