Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Premature Camshaft / Cam Follower failure

I was mentally adding up Cub Crafters and Legend Cub as being one aircraft type

Don’t say that too load, there may be some Carbon Cub owners reading here There is one guy here at the local field that has finished building one of his two Carbon Cubs, and is only waiting for nice weather to make the first flight (that and some “bug” with the propeller bolts).

But OK, the Cub is the most popular of all LSA. That makes me happy somehow. Still, Rotax is the most popular engine . Are you serious? you have 700 airplanes at one field?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Now you’ve made me look it up Seven hundred and sixty eight at last count.

United States

Good video.

Should make anybody buying a very-low-time aircraft think twice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well I started this thread and that Webinar at #204 was very, very interesting – right on topic.
We’re back in the air again with about 5 hours on the rebuilt engine and just to confirm we’ve fitted the Centri-Lube STC camshaft.
Oil is Shell 80 straight and at the first oil change Camguard is going in and current thinking is we’re sticking with that Shell 80.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

I attended a maintenance seminar at EAA. On Continentals, having the cam at the bottom of the casing, the solution is to fill up the engine with oil enough for it to cover the camshaft. Then it can stay for ages without being used and without any corrosion. You just have to remember to tap the oil before you start

Also, the comment about pre-heaters are wrong, or imprecise. Putting the heater on and off is almost just as bad as starting the engine without flying it (flying for at least half an hour). A pre heater will keep the engine above ambient temperature, and no moisture can condense. But it has to stay in a hangar, unheated (no use for a pre-heater in a heated angar). If it stays out, rain and snow and wind will cool it enough for condensation to occur, and could theoretically make the situation worse (if left for longer periods).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@WarleyAir, you should have come down to Lausanne. What a great way to break in a new engine!

LFPT, LFPN

When was that Lausanne ‘trip’ ? – it went under the radar !

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

When was that Lausanne ‘trip’ ? – it went under the radar !

You need to check the forum more often

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Don’t worry @WarleyAir. @JoJo is organizing a meeting in Bern very soon.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message