Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CAA Export Certificate process

Can anyone clue me in on the process of obtaining an Export Certificate from the UK CAA ?

Thanks!

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

The CAA website explains in detail the process

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=720&pagetype=65&appid=54&mode=detail&appproc=53

Can anyone add any personal experience ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

No one ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I think I have had one in the past, but it’s some time ago. As it was done reasonably soon after maintenance it was a paperwork exercise.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Thanks Neil.

The main question is does the acft have to be in the UK for the survey ? Perhaps not if it’s purely a paperwork exercise as you suggest ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

In my vague recollection, an Export CofA on a G-reg is a normal Annual, plus some extra paperwork. I believe it involves a pretty full check of the aircraft for mods and such. Basically the certification picture has to hang together.

Do be careful with Export CofAs. The FAA will probably deregister the aircraft after you do one on an N-reg so if you later abandon the transfer, you will be flying an aircraft which doesn’t legally exist. I don’t know what the UK CAA does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In my experience the FAA do not de-register until you ask them to. I know because I failed to ask once and the FAA didn’t deregister, hence delaying a sale.

I think if you tried to do a UK export C of A when the aircraft is abroad you may get stung on travelling expenses for a CAA inspector to travel to the aircraft.

Why not ring the CAA? I have to say I find them very helpful once you get through to someone in the right area.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

That is correct Neil. I sold my last Centurion (FAA registered) to Brazil 2 years ago and arranged for the export cert from the DAR.
That plane is still registered to the buyer in the US, so obviously the FAA does not automatically de-register unless
the registered owner makes a request, or does not renew the registration.

I think I’ll follow your davice Niel and ring the CAA on Monday.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message