Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics for experimentals and LSAs

Just wondering if anyone has any views on suppliers of avionics kit for experimentals and LSAs?

We’re currently looking at the Dynon Skyview versus an MGL system

At first glance, from what I can gather, the Skyview kit is simple, easy to use, intuitive – but ‘locked down’: all components have to be Skyview brand.

With the MGL kit, on the other hand, it looks like one can use any brand of component or probe, which gives a lot of freedom, but also requires more calibration/adjustment than the Skyview system.

Is anyone using either of these systems? Are you happy with them? I’d be grateful for feedback on any aspect – thanks!

Bordeaux

The first thing to consider is the reliability of the manufacturer in terms of ongoing support.
I once relinquished a £2000 deposit on some kit because I didn’t like the answers I got to questions I should have put before I left the deposit.
I then went to a different supplier (neither of the above) and was in turn disappointed with the on going support but this was after the kit was fitted.
Dynon seems to be a company that is going places and I would hazard a guess that it is they who are likely to give the best on going support for the longest time.

Forever learning
EGTB

Hi Jojo,

we have a Dynon Skyview System installed in our plane. So far I’m really happy with it.
We have the smaller 7" Display, a Dynon Transponder with ADS-B out and will switch to
a Dynon Radio later this year. Furthermore we just bought a AirAvionics TRX 1500 to
get traffic on the Display (can not yet tell how fine this works).

The System indeed works best when extended by Dynon modules, but it can
also work together with other devices, like Garmin 430 /530 or similar.

It is very intuitive to operate, quite customizable and simple to install.
The support from Dynon seems good and they release software updates quite often.

If you have any questions, just ask. I’m no expert, but perhaps I can help.

EDGH

Very useful, thank you both We have a Garmin 430, good to know the Dynon could work with this.

Bordeaux

We have Dynon system (double glass) in a WT9. It’s simple enough to use, but a bit intermittent and have to be hard rebooted sometimes to start up. Could be some power related failure, I don’t know. I am purchasing a MGL system for my Onex. I have no experience with their glass, but their other systems (singles) all work just excellent. I also have a MGL headset for 3-4 years, never a problem and perfect sound, but will switch to an active system (free exhaust makes lots of noise )

I am not too found of glass to be honest, but they do offer logging of data, engine data in particular. I consider this a must-have since I’m also building my own engine.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thank you also, @LeSving – Building your own engine? I admire your enthusiasm!

You can’t keep a good homebuilder down!

Bordeaux

I have a dual screen GRT horizon with EIS. It takes a while to find your way around at first although the default settings cover nearly all your needs.

In 8 years the only issues have been one screen failure, one GPS module failure and 2 EGT probe failures; all fixed quickly by the manufacturers.
They are uncertified, but built to a similar standard to the stuff they supply the US government.

In the past I’ve had 2 Blue Mountain EFIS one worked fine the other was nothing but trouble; a Dynon D6 which was simple to install and use and no problems.
I now also have a GRT Mini-B which is perfect as a PFD for the small panel in the RV-4

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message