Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon D10A got an FAA STC

FWIW, the larger version, EFIS-D100 is now included in this STC.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
The EAA’s STC has now been extended to include various Beechcraft, as well as Maules and other aerotrash:

EAA news

As far as I can see from Dynon’s FAQ the D10 has not been crippled for this STC. It also seems to include an HSI display but extension of the STC to drive autopilots is work in progress.

In effect, Dynon’s tanks seem to be heading for Aspen’s lawn.

Last Edited by Jacko at 17 Jan 16:16
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

It also seems to include an HSI display but extension of the STC to drive autopilots is work in progress.

The installation manual of the STC clearly mentions that the HSI page has to be disabled.

Trutrak is now working on an STC for their Vizion autopilot and so we can reasonably expect that Dynon will do the same.

Belgium

Trutrak is now working on an STC for their Vizion autopilot and so we can reasonably expect that Dynon will do the same.

Don’t count your chickens on this one until they have hatched.

Everybody knows what is preventing uncertified avionics being used widely and consequently “everybody is working on an STC”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure, but it looks as if the HSI page is not exactly disabled, it is just set up so as not to be readily available – for now. It can be restored with the press of a few buttons at the stroke of the administrator’s pen…

Jacko wrote:

Sure, but it looks as if the HSI page is not exactly disabled, it is just set up so as not to be readily available – for now. It can be restored with the press of a few buttons at the stroke of the administrator’s pen…

Don’t count on it anytime soon.

As usual, the problem is certification. Both the Dynon eAI and the Garmin G5 were “rushed” through without having to show TSO conformity under the “new” FAA regulations .

Unfortunatly, seems the FAA was just keen to get cost effective eAI out to replace vacuum driven and HSIs are not on that agenda.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael, you may be right, but I hope not. I don’t see the whole FAA NORSEE snowball melting any time soon. Rather, I suspect we’re seeing the start of an avalanche.

The FAA has recently declared war on loss-of-control accidents and there’s a widespread view that an autopilot and HSI can enhance the safety of single-pilot flight in IMC. The FAA probably has thousands of E-AB airplanes flying with non-TSO autopilots and HSIs, so it has the necessary data to weigh the risks and benefits.

I’ll wager, what, let me think, a case of Savagnin, or even better, a crate of Irn-Bru that we see a non-TSO HSI or A/P for certified US airplanes before this time next year.

Trutrak and Trio have both announced that they are working on getting their autopilots in Cessna 172/182 and others.

I doubt these companies would invest time and money if all that was for nothing. Let’s see what will be announced at Sun&Fun and Oshkosh this year.

Belgium

Curiously, Trutrak pops up here as a non-acceptable item in the UK LAA homebuilt IFR programme.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Curiously, Trutrak pops up here as a non-acceptable item in the UK LAA homebuilt IFR programme.

Yes, but this information is related to their EFIS, not to their autopilot.

Anyway, in the same document, you find that:

When the Dynon D10A is STC by the FAA… Maybe the LAA inspector needs to upgrade his glasses! Or he just needs a bit of training on using the instrument. From my experience, all information are extremely readable.

Belgium
Sign in to add your message