Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FLARM - equipment options and how well does it work around Europe?

If you read the homebuilt residence limitations threads you quickly see other reasons why large numbers don’t use Mode S

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Anders, thanks for teaching me something new. They all do show as T-FLRM1 so my previous deduction was incorrect.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Archer-181 wrote:

As I mentioned, I still need to connect my non WAAS ADSB out to my Trig which will use the GPS source from the PowerFlarm. It will be flagged as non WAAS – does your system see this output?

I didn’t think WAAS existed outside of the United States – it would be odd if systems used in Europe blocked non WAAS ADS-B.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

I didn’t think WAAS existed outside of the United States – it would be odd if systems used in Europe blocked non WAAS ADS-B.

It’s probably SBAS and non-SBAS rather than WAAS and non-WAAS.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

alioth wrote:

I didn’t think WAAS existed outside of the United States…

It doesn’t. WAAS is the SBAS system in the US. EGNOS is the SBAS system in Europe. OTOH, equipment that can do WAAS should be able to do EGNOS as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

I suppose that refers to PilotAware? Or are there more?

PowerFlarm can do it. f.u.n.k.e. IIRC has one (it can do even Flarm – full support with Flarm connected, using just signal strength when not, it’s not trying to read the message on its own IIRC). Then you had Garrecht (now I believe Air Avionics, Flarm IIRC supported), Zaon. Who knows what else, it’s probably not all.

Does anyone uses FLARM on the aircraft?

I am seriously considering it, connected to the SkyDemon and also to the GNS430.

Inputs from users appreciated.

LPSR, Portugal

I am curious about the usefulness of (PowerFLARM) for light powered aircraft which mostly fly in an environment where very few are equipped except for gliders, tugs and maybe ULs. In that statement there is an implicit admittance that it could be very useful if it was of widespread use, so there is a chicken&egg problem.

On the other hand there are already active traffic systems for light aircraft based on the detection of transponder replies. And contrary to gliders, most of us are equipped with transponders, although not too many are equipped with an active traffic system even though my impression is that they are becoming increasingly common.

As of today, I would rather have an active traffic system than (Power)FLARM because I fly in an environment where most aircraft have a xpdr turned on, and to my knowledge, very few have FLARM.

The problem of the active traffic system is however cost and the fact that it is an installed system.

LFPT, LFPN

I have one in the Beech. It’s purpose is seeing gliders. They’re oftentimes close to the cloud ceiling and difficult to see. Which is bad both VFR, either in cruise or if I descend through BKN or SCT clouds, and of course in IFR. ATC doesn’t see them, they usually don’t have a transponder.

I just feel a lot safer with it.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 24 May 20:10
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Totally agree – really useful for spotting gliders & clusters of them. I feel much safer with it.

Gliders tend to have Flarm so I agree with Euroflyer. It has proved really useful on my last couple of trips through the South of England to the Midlands. I’d make everybody install it!

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message