Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

then a problem with contaminated fuel

The fuel powering the boat, or the avgas?

If the latter, I wonder how they found out? Maybe one should not ask…

Following an episode earlier this year (which the fuel company in question denied, and I could not prove it 100% because the sample I got tested – which showed gum 10x out of spec, plus some water – came out of my plane and not directly out of their bowser) I think contaminated avgas is a real risk. I now put IPA (about 0.5%) in at every fillup, and I would do so particularly at every fillup in southern Europe, particularly where the fuel may have been sitting in the bowser for some months.

Figari is short on fuel too. 100LL is restricted to 100l per aircraft.

Figari seems to have a history of this. Last time I planned it as an alternate it had no avgas for a long time.

These airports obviously don’t give a damn, because if this was my business and I was making – as they must be – €0.30-0.40 per litre, I would make sure I have the stuff in stock. You make far more on fuel than on landing fees or chocolate cake sales.

Or maybe the people who fly there don’t buy fuel there? That, if true, would indicate that most of their traffic is very local.

BTW just got a good reply from Albenga

I told them there may be some fuel business this weekend, and asked how much fuel they have. No reply as yet.

Last Edited by Peter at 02 Sep 16:37
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I called World Fuel Services at Calvi using the number provided by AnthonyQ

The person made a speech so long and fast that I could not record all details, and I did not take notes… Apparently the avgas was contaminated and IIRC he said it was detected by sampling.

LFPT, LFPN

Hi all

I just called world fuel service (BP). He told me there has been a series of events: strike followed by fuel contamination, followed by breakdown of the cargo ship due to electrical failure, followed by August 15th fireworks being transported and therefore no other dangerous material onboard. Delivery was due on Tuesday but it did not come. They do not expect a delivery before next Tuesday. He keeps a few liters available for those who want to leave Corsica.

I called Figari afterwards, they’ve limited the delivery to 100l/craft and they have 7cubic meters left. He advised me to call just prior to departure to make sure some would remain when I arrive.

I’m kind of scr…ed here: my plan was to sleep at a friend’s close to Figari and pop by to say hello on Saturday in Calvi. With 4pob in the tb10 I cannot onboard more than 120 liters. So it would mean a stopover in Cannes, then direct to Figari but by no means can I come to Calvi.

I’ll call them again tomorrow and on Thursday and keep you guys posted

LFNR

I’ve cancelled my two rooms (see posting #122) and accepted the non-return of my 170 Euro deposit (first night for two rooms).

I’ve had two EuroGA contacts wanting the rooms and I’ve put them in direct contact with Caroline at Hotel Les Arbousiers Phone +33 495 650447 [email protected]

When last talking to Caroline it seemed they still had rooms avaiable over and above my two cancelled rooms.

Not a big problem, but next time I’ll take more note of ‘cancellation policies’ – important when GA is used, but hopefully I’ll not be hit by mechanical problems again – just weather!!!

Have a good weekend all and think about us grounded here in the UK !!!

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 03 Sep 06:59
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Sorry there seems to be a fuel problem. I could have just main it non-stop from North UK, but with fuel on the island doubtfulI would have had to make a re-fuel stop before leaving mainland France.
Sure you’ll all have a ‘work-around’.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 03 Sep 07:08

I thought this site had a ‘spell-check’ for semi dyslectic people like me – it seems to have ‘stopped’.
I’m having to compile in MS Word (where it works) and C&P’ing !!

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 03 Sep 07:12

It looks like I will be coming down to Calvi too – flying a N-tail DA40 from LFPT. My wife is in the process of deciding what hotel to book. She does not seem to fancy Les Arbousiers a lot because (a) it is a 2-star hotel, and (b) it has received some nasty reviews. So we may end up at the Hotel Calvi just down the road from Les Arbousiers.

Since I do not fancy flying legs of much more than 2,5-3 hrs, we will make a stop somewhere – probably at Avignon since it is rumoured to have a nice restaurant on the field.

LFPT, LFPN

I have a reply from Albenga which appears to be affirmative regarding how much avgas they have, following my suggestion of approximately 10 planes buying 200 litres each.

Albenga has some “interesting” warnings in the AIP but nothing of relevance in the Jepp data so possibly not an issue for IFR. There is some terrain around, for sure.

Administrator

I called Calvi tonight: no update, delivery expected next Tuesday.

Figari still has 6,5 cubic meters available. I think it’s gonna be Figari only for us.

LFNR

On the plus side, the weather does look very good for the fly-in.

I look forward to seeing you all there

Does Calvi actually have zero fuel?

Last Edited by Peter at 04 Sep 05:49
Administrator
Sign in to add your message