Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prague Fly-in May 1-3 2015

The city is very scenic of course

There are just two options that offer Customs and Avgas: Ruzyne LKPR and Letnany LKLT.

LKPR is €150-200 but has everything and is superbly organised. LKLT is “cheap” but there is no IFR option (short of a letdown on the LKPR ILS) and it is grass, about 800m.

Vodochody LKVO is a dead loss now, charging about €200 (new for 2014) and open or closed apparently randomly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

The previous Fly-Ins have been out of my flying range (charter, VFR, etc..) in the context of such a (short duration) trip. Prague I’d definitely be interested in!

I suspect there could be other members for which the same holds true.

LKLT slightly preferred over LKPR.

Last Edited by Patrick at 29 Sep 15:45
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I would be interested, too.

Has been a while since I have been to Prague (1986, to be precise).

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

OK… obviously we would not be just meeting up at the airport, so some could fly to LKPR and some could fly to LKLT.

Some well locally connected could fly to LKVO and some extremely well locally connected could fly to Kbely

Or any other nearby place if you don’t need Customs.

Hotels in Prague range from amazingly cheap (I paid about €40/night – 10 mins’ walk from Charles Bridge) to amazingly expensive.

I think that otherwise scenically / culturally Prague ticks the boxes, more than any other N European city I have been to. Of course I am biased – I was born there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To one living and earning in CZ today, meseemeth 40 € for one person in a hotel for one night would be amazingly expensive. But of course a capital and metropolis will never be on the cheap side.

And yes, even if I was not born there I fully agree that Praha is a superb city in a lovely country. If I get there, I want to pick up some Mozart references – several of his successes premiered there.

If I do participate, I might well make it part of a longer holiday – low-side VFR flying requires large margins. Perhaps take up temporary headquarters at LKBE Benešov and commute to the capital for a day in company, including lunch. Flying into Letnany if weather permits, otherwise by train.

But perhaps some would be curious and surprised to learn the good value of a day out in Benešov country, too?

Last Edited by at 29 Sep 16:29
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

and as for

Prague ticks the boxes, more than any other N European city I have been to.

I see two possible alternatives:

Dresden – I’ve never been there, and the war damage must have been so terrible that not all scars have healed, even 70 years after – but I hear lots of good about the place.

and Vilnius, where I have been twice and was really enchanted. But it is perhaps out of the way for most here. To me, better feasible than Corsica..! (or perhaps I should say “less impossible” )

Last Edited by at 29 Sep 16:48
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’d be interested in a trip to Prague too – but not LKPR, last time I was there I wasn’t impressed at all, except for the final sum on the bill.

LSZK, Switzerland

To one living and earning in CZ today, meseemeth 40 € for one person in a hotel for one night would be amazingly expensive. But of course a capital and metropolis will never be on the cheap side.

That’s for a true hotel in the historical centre. The cheapest hostel accommodation within the city boundaries can be as low as 4-5 €.

If I do participate, I might well make it part of a longer holiday – low-side VFR flying requires large margins.

If we have a sizeable group of those wishing to stay longer, it may be possible to organise some real aviation-related content in addition to the usual walking around town + food + beer, e.g. a course in aerobatics, or a visit to ATC – but it should be arranged well in advance.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Praha is in my shortlist of destinations in the near future so if you organise a fly-in to Praha, I’d defenitely be there, however, I’m only VFR and so is my plane, so it will depend on the weather.
I have some friends in Praha, so that’s ok for the hotel and fine if it’s for several days, again depending on the weather.

As for the airfield, the price is not an issue as long as it’s under 100 euros (or equivalent in Krones)

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

I would be interested in a meeting in Prague (but perhaps even more in Vilnius, considering where I’m based).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
171 Posts
Sign in to add your message