Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AFPM fly-in at Montmeilleur LFKK, 24/25 September 2016

One of the dangers of not attending the annual general meeting of the European Mountain Pilots federation is that one may get saddled with the onerous job of representing the (practically non-existent) British branch of the said EMP.

So, on behalf of all those whom I have the honour to represent, I cordially invite anyone and everyone who is remotely interested in mountain flying to join us at Montmeilleur on 24 September – details here

It’s a private airfield so PPR but there’s no statutory requirement for a mountain qualification; the runway is like a billiard table, albeit sloping so that the 560 m length is equivalent to a flat runway of more than a kilometre.

Picnic in the gardens, guided tour of the Chateau, and possibility of visiting or riding shotgun to some real altisurfaces in the vicinity. If you don’t fancy landing at LFKK, we might be able to arrange a lift from somewhere like Gap, Grenoble or Annemasse in a Cessna, Maule or some rubbish froggy airplane like a CAP 10 or D140.

Like all such alpine fly-ins, it is somewhat dependant on good VMC.

Feel free to email or PM if interested.
ATB, Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The weather might be OK for a mountain picnic on Saturday so,

…just bumping this thread in case anyone in the Rhône-Alpes region would like to join us – either in your own aircraft or by hitching a lift from a nearby conventional airport.

A few photos of the trip, mostly VFR, starting from home just before dawn and squeaking back in just before dark:
Walking out to the hangar:

Dawn over the Solway Firth:

Thames estuary:

Kent:

The usual scrum at Calais:

The gathering:

The impeccable runway:

Lunch…

Guided tour of the chateau, restored from a ruin by the present owner:

The lac d’Annecy

The clubhouse at Corlier

Not much of a view fron the driving seat of a Caravelle:

Is this the power station which our leader over-flew?

After an hour of IMC, it’s nice to see the sun, if only briefly:

The M6 south of Penrith:

Welcome back to Scotland (the Solway Firth again) and only 20 minutes to run:

Last Edited by Jacko at 29 Sep 19:02

Nice! Gimme more!

LFPT, LFPN

Very nice :)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Is the Maule IFR certified or you just found holes?

Beautiful. LFKK is a very nice field indeed!

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Yes, my Maule is certified and equipped for IFR (as any bushplane should be?), although it’s non FIKI and I find the S-Tec 60 doesn’t fly an ILS particularly well. Maybe that’s just me, or the fact that the “roll” axis operates on the rudder (the ailerons being less than half as long as the flaps, and thus somewhat ineffective).

On the other hand, this machine is certified for night, but I’m not sure about IMC:

Last Edited by Jacko at 29 Sep 22:05

This clearly shows that you dont have to spend a shed load of money to get a lot of fun from aviation

Jacko wrote:

Yes, my Maule is certified and equipped for IFR (as any bushplane should be?)

I didn’t know that. I used to fly a super cub (G-WLAC, for those from White Waltham EGLM), but it wasn’t certified (it had an AI, but little else useful for IFR (also, no pitot heat)

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message