Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Expo Friedrichshafen EDNY 2017

I intend to be there, but as usual my chances for flying in are small. If I do, it will be to Konstanz, like my countryman. More likely I’ll come driving and visit the fair on Friday.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

If I do, it will be to Konstanz, like my countryman.

With your ULM, I’d fly in to Markdorf. They always had a shuttle and extremely low fees, and they are not as far as Konstanz. There are many nice airfields on the route to refuel.

I’ll be there all days, as usual, but I don’t know when I have time for a meeting, yet. Probably flying in one or two days prior the exhibition.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Maltke, thanks for the tip. I did have heard about the Markdorf arrangement, but what makes you recommend it over Konstanz? My arguments are

• Granted, I could sleep in a tent at Markdorf, but early April might likely be chilly if not outright cold. And a hotel in Konstanz need not be much moe expensive than one in Markdorf, I should think?
  • will MoGas be available at Markdorf? I should expect so, but at Konstanz it is a certainty.
  • I also thought to support Flugplatz Konstanz by flying there, they were under threat of closure at one time
  • The ferry across the Bodensee has a certain attraction for me by itself, though the transfer will be more expensive. And yes, I know it doesn’t “run” very late, perhaps till 7pm or so
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

I did have heard about the Markdorf arrangement, but what makes you recommend it over Konstanz?

Just location and ease of getting to the trade fair. It is just 12 km away, you might even walk the distance.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Granted, I could sleep in a tent at Markdorf, but early April might likely be chilly if not outright cold. And a hotel in Konstanz need not be much moe expensive than one in Markdorf, I should think?

You could sleep in tent city on the trade fair, that is warmer.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

will MoGas be available at Markdorf? I should expect so, but at Konstanz it is a certainty.

That I don’t know, but they do operate an FK-9 ULM.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

also thought to support Flugplatz Konstanz by flying there, they were under threat of closure at one time
The ferry across the Bodensee has a certain attraction for me by itself, though the transfer will be more expensive. And yes, I know it doesn’t “run” very late, perhaps till 7pm or so

These are, of course, strong arguments for Konstanz.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

You could sleep in tent city on the trade fair, that is warmer.

Die spinnen, die Deutschen:

EinePerson im Zelt: 30 € pro Zelt und Nacht, ZweiPersonen im Zelt: 50 € pro Zelt und Nacht

For that kind of money I expect a proper bed, not a tent.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

It used to be normal for hotels within walking distance of AERO to be €300/night, during the various shows hosted there but AERO especially. And they would be totally sold out. I know because I tried to book them…

In recent years they got too greedy and together with the show becoming annual (also, the organisers getting greedy!) the attendance is much lower and those hotels have some empty rooms! But they aren’t a lot cheaper.

However, I have known people who said they book hotel rooms on the day and they said they could always get one, and for a lot less. I don’t know if that was ever true or just somebody trying to wind me up… and obviously not a satisfactory way to go about things although I guess with the internet you can always find a “bed” nowadays.

Most people stay in one of the villages along the bus route to Friedrichshafen, e.g. Hagnau, and then there is a free shuttle bus to the show. The transport takes about an hour but is very cheap and you can get hotel rooms for around €60-80/night which is cheap by N European standards. Or rent a car, but watch the speed cameras which in places are set to something mad like 20km/hr (I got 3 tickets on the same day, when someone left me with their rental car to drive back to Stuttgart in heavy rain – a long story).

The “tent city” is ok for some people… I know one guy who did it and he said “never again”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The “tent city” is ok for some people… I know one guy who did it and he said “never again”.

It depends on what you expect, I guess. Basically you sleep in a big hangar with not more than visual protection by the tent with many other people. There is no breakfast (other than what is offered on the trade fair), but the toilets and showers are clean and water is warm. The two-person tent last year was just 100 cm wide, so sharing with my wife was okay, but I wouldn’t share this with club members. You need to bring a proper airbed though, they only provide a thin sleeping pad and the wooden floor is quite hard.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I’d definitely avoid Tent City.

I’ve no problem with camping, and no problem doing so in the cold (did a camping trip last weekend with -2C…outside tents covered in frost when I woke up). If you’ve the proper equipment, then you’ll be fine.

The problem is that anyone I’ve spoken to who stayed in tent city, told me that they got no sleep at all. There was just too much noise from people moving during the night and in particular the chorus of snoring.

Markdorf is too far to walk from in my opinion. But definitely camping outdoors would be preferable to staying in tent city!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I will attend Friday and Saturday. I booked an AB&B from 6 to 8 April. I plan to arrive Thursday afternoon.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

I needed to bring my plane to the Aero this year so the cost of 35 Euros is reasonable considering the bennies that go with it, but the hotel which is 4 km from the airport costs 225 Euros for one night. Ouch and it doesnt even have a Jacuzzi or a pool or even a sauna. How uncivilized for that price. Arriving Thursday and departing Friday.

Maybe Thursday night dinner get together for those not staying Friday evening?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message