Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Samsung Galaxy S v. Lenovo Tablet 2 comparison

I wasn’t sure whether this goes under Avionics or IT

The Samsung is at the top. This is with (most of) both of them set to max brightness and shaded from direct sunlight. Both have matt stick-on screen protectors – necessary for all retail-grade tablets for any flying IMHO. You can see the Lenovo (bottom) having less “muddy” colours, but both are readable

Here is with direct sunlight on both. The Lenovo (bottom) scores better but to be honest it could just be a different type of matt filter…

The result is marginally usable.

The filters weren’t cheap – about 10 quid for the Lenovo and 10 quid for three for the Samsung, versus 25 quid I paid for an Ipad 2 filter a few years ago to get a similar result. They are practically impossible to apply without getting dust underneath (even using the full “steamed up bathroom” method) but the bubbles aren’t visible once the display is running.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We could do a test series. Yesterday my new Samsung Galaxy Tab Active arrived (at the office, where I will not be prior Friday) and I can compare it to an iPad, iPad Mini, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy S3 and S4. Might take a couple of weeks before I get all divices at one place together, though.

I have the matt filter on the S3 and the Tab 10.1, and compared to the “beauty mirror” of the iPad it is really helping a lot.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I bet you that all the displays will be really similar, if you could somehow get the same matt filter for them all.

In reality one usually can’t get the same filter brand for multiple devices.

Administrator

Well I think what is important is the minimum light, too. For night flying the iPad Mini is way too bright. It was really disturbing. Of course, I don’t have any other displays in the cockpit, just this beautiful red instrument lighting and the background of the KS175B. Might be different if you have more displays in your panel.

But I think you might be right about the displays. Anyway, I am eager to see how the Tab active holds up in direct comparison. This seemed to be the weak spot of the tablet, but then I don’t use a tablet to watch movies in HD.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I have just tested the S tablet in a dark room and its lowest brightness is very low and completely suitable for night flight. I have not seen this before on any tablet.

In the auto setting this works too, though there is a manual option retained even then.

I think for daytime flight most people will just set it to manual and maximum.

There is nothing I can see which an Ipad does obviously better. The finger interface works really well.

The only job left for me is to get the satphone connection working on it

Administrator

I think iPads are better for flight because the vast bulk of aviation software is developed for them. I admire your tenacity Peter but I have given in. Android is great but iPads have won that battle.

EGTK Oxford

Well, as they said in the IBM days, a computer is a thing for running application software.

If you can run the apps you need on a 4004, then that’s the right computer for you.

It’s true that the mainstream GA apps are IOS, and some are IOS-only, but that doesn’t mean everybody finds they fit well with their cockpit workflow.

Administrator

Jason, I don’t agree. There are tons of great software for Android, especially for VFR flying. Some of them (like Skydemon) work on both systems. And so far I had two overheated iPad Minis but no problem with Samsung tablets.

For IFR flying this may differ.

Last Edited by mh at 04 Mar 22:59
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think IFR is harder. JeppFD is technically available for Android but it is terrible and so really if you need their app you have no choice, or the ADL-120 from Golze, or Foreflight in the US, iPad it is sadly.

EGTK Oxford

JeppFD is technically available for Android

From where? I can only find JeppTC.

JeppTC has fewer features than JeppFD but it works nicely. It has major compatibility issues with some tablets though, so you have to make sure that it displays charts correctly on a particular tablet before buying. I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Mar 08:40
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message