Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dropping in images during editing

10 Posts

Dropping in images seems to work well during the initial post composition but when I try to Cntl-V an image when going to edit my own post the upload always seems to fail. What am I doing wrong?

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Mar 22:47
EGTK Oxford

Not sure I 100% understand the question but firstly the only way to “get an image file onto the server” is by drag/drop from a program which supports that functionality.

On a PC, the only program which supports it is Windows File Explorer ( * ) On the Ipad, which pretends to not have a file system, you drag/drop the desired from the Camera Roll. No web browser supports the required functionality which is why one cannot drag/drop into a EuroGA post directly from some website (have to do a Save Image As first, etc).

One cannot copy/paste a file with control-v (or right click + Paste). Only drag/drop is supported. I think control-v would need java support at the client which introduces all kinds of issues (that’s what e.g. Photobucket does).

( * ) *EDIT: not strictly true. I can drag/drop from other programs e.g. ACDSEE, even a 10 year old version. So it looks like some picture browser progs can do it too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, my update just now there was posted under Chrome. I copied the images to the clipboard and then ctl-V into the edit window. It uploaded and posted a link in. When I tried that after editing an existing post it doesn’t work. Maybe this is a “feature” that isn’t supposed to be there.

EGTK Oxford

It sounds like you are using some special “clipboard program” which supports multiple objects. Under windows normally, the clipboard holds just one object at a time.

Also AFAIK control-v is not supposed to work.

Admittedly this is not easy to do but in these situations I have done a quick and dirty video of my screen operations and dropboxed it to David.

There are very few apps which support drag/drop in the required way. I did some tests and found only ACDSEE (v5 and PRO v7), and Faststone image viewer. Probably other “image album” apps might work too. Photoshop, Lightroom, Paint, etc do not work.

There is another subtle aspect here: if you upload an image, then edit the posting and during that editing you remove the image link, then when you Submit the edited version, the server deletes the image from its own storage. So if you then paste the image link back in, the image won’t be there. That is AIUI – I will ask David to comment.

Administrator

Just using an add-in which adds an image into the clipboard. It is the normal windows clipboard. When I hit Cntl-V I get an uploading image bar and it works.

Last Edited by JasonC at 31 Mar 21:18
EGTK Oxford

Same here: ctrl+V for images works for me under OS X, Linux and Windows, on Chrome and Safari – but only on an original post, editing always throws an error.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 01 Apr 05:41
EGEO

Does drag/drop work for you when editing?

Administrator

Just edited this post: no it doesn’t – at least on OS X (safari) and windows (chrome).

Upload gets to 100% then this appears:

Last Edited by jwoolard at 01 Apr 08:00
EGEO

I have just tried, in Firefox, uploading an image 3 times, and saving the posting each time in between. That works for me.

However control-v doesn’t work at all, not even on a fresh post. Not in Chrome (windows xp) either. What I am doing is right-clicking on a .jpg file in Explorer, Copy, then moving the focus to the forum pane, and doing control-v.

However, I can get control-v to work, in Chrome but not in FF, if I open the image in a picture browser (ACDSEE in this case), and use the Copy function in that. But then it works for me even in an edited post.

So I suspect the control-v functionality is very dependent on what you are copying from. I have just successfully edited your post above and dropped the image of two chips in there.

What size of files are you copying?

I have reported this to David. That error message must appear for a reason.

If anyone needs to drop in some images and are having problems, or need to edit a post past the 2 hour window, just email me and I will sort it out.

The image below was dropped in a bit later, in FF

The image below was dropped in a bit later, in Chrome

The image below was copy/pasted from ACDSEE v5, into Chrome

although curiously the URL of the uploaded file doesn’t contain the filename anymore; it is called “undefined.”

even though the image appears correctly.

That is hardly surprising; I would not expect a copy/paste of an image to carry through the image’s filename. I wonder if this works just once per post, and subsequent attempts mess up the system because you get duplicate filenames?

If that image was done with drag/drop, you see the filename at the end:

Administrator

Let’s narrow this down a bit.

Is it correct to say that uploads work 100% during the initial edit of a post?

When it fails to upload an image during a subsequent edit of a post, what upload method is being used?

• Use the Upload File button and use the browser’s dialog box to locate the file
  • Use the Upload File button and drag the file (from some kind of file explorer/finder program) on to the file button
  • Drag and drop the file from a file explorer/finder program to the browser pane
  • Copy and Paste the file from a file explorer/finder

The library we use for the upload states that Copy and Paste of files (last option above) is supported in Chrome (and only Chrome) and my tests confirm this.

To correct an earlier point I made incorrectly, if a user uploads a file, by whatever method, then edits the post and removes reference to the file, the system does NOT remove the file. This means if you subsequently go back in and paste the URL back in, it will work.

I cannot reproduce the issue, using Chrome Version 41.0.2272.101 m (the latest; one cannot disable auto updates) and FF 36.0.4. But then as a mod I have different privileges which can be an issue sometimes.

In short, is anybody else unable to drag/drop images, into a post being edited after having been previously Submitted?

As I mentioned previously, if anybody needs to put up a number of pics and has any issues, just dropbox them to me (etc) and I will put them on a site from which you can pick off the links. It is much better than using e.g. imgur.com which deletes stuff after 6 months (after last access) and it not very reliable anyway.

Administrator
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message