Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Over-use of abbreviations and obscure acronyms

I am with Peter on this one (as some of my past postings will testify). I also agree the thread about TREATS was of little use and not understood. Perhaps it is just me but that is my view.

UK, United Kingdom

It was/is not just you

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

it would be nicer still to see a glossary

One day a hover-over thing will be done, but obviously that won’t work for stuff which means multiple things and a google turns up multiple meanings and the OP doesn’t come back to post the meaning he intended under Abbreviations – like the TDODAR one the other day.

Frankly, most of the abbreviations which can be usefully audo-expanded (regardless of the implementation at the client end) will be the ones most people already know.

That is why I started this thread – to make people think for an extra 100 milliseconds before posting this stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I generally agree, with however one exception: IFR terminology. For all IFR pilots those acronyms are common and wlf-evident. I think I am not the only VFR pilot who tries to read and understand postings about IFR flying, but the many acronyms make that hard, as they are not common at all to a VFR pilot. Well, that is to say, some og them – DH is by now self-evident to me, to name but one.

If ever we have the hover-over, it should obviously be based on the forum’s own glossary – which could perhaps be implemented as a wiki, or kind of.

Last Edited by at 26 Feb 09:09
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

jfw wrote:

GA

Why make it an acronym? Laziness? Also, it’s pronounced differently in different languages. GA, VFR, IFR sounds very different in Norwegian than in English. We normally don’t use the term GA anyway, we call it “Allmennfly” and there is no acronym for it. VFR and IFR can be “acronymified” using the same letters also in Norwegian.

I remember the first time I heard the English pronunciation of BMW. It took some time before I understood it was the car BMW. The same with the Golf GTI (very popular when I was young). WTF is a “gee tee aii” ?? or a “vee dubya” ..

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Acronyms are faster, and some have found their way into normal language useage.

Anway EuroGA is an English speaking Forum and I think to use english vocabulary and acronyms and abbreviations (where they exist) follows as a logical step.

To shorten “General Aviation” to GA (when it’s even in the title of this forum) is not that annoying than using ICAO identifiers when talking about airports.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh wrote:

Anway EuroGA is an English speaking Forum

Are you 100% sure about that?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

mh wrote:

is not that annoying than using ICAO identifiers when talking about airports.

*not as annoying as
Funny how many people get this wrong in German as well (“wie” oder “als” in Vergleichen) and then translate the mistake into English as well. So much for “English speaking forum”

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

*not as annoying as

Thanks.

MedEwok wrote:

So much for “English speaking forum”

What would you call this then? Sure, we all make mistakes, but although English is not the native language of most participants, I think the linguistic quality of this forum is not that bad at all.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Funny how many people get this wrong in German as well (“wie” oder “als” in Vergleichen) and then translate the mistake into English as well.

In some regions, it’s arguably not a mistake. We call this “niederrheinischer Komparativ” and while that is slightly tongue-in-cheek, there is a grain of truth in those things: Who/what defines what is “correct” in a language? I’d say it’s the people who use the language and language changes and adapts – for the better or the worse. Trying to stop that and trying to insist on certain rules to be adhered to in languages (or, like in France, trying to control the use of anglicisms) is humbug, IMHO.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message