Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

120 reasons for flying GA

Within Europe, I fly myself. Always. Door to door, its quicker. And for two or more of us, it’s economically competitive too. And much more fun. The most recent was skiing last week.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

@Mark_B

You have the perfect legacy twin for Europe, really. Fast and frugal. Only two that might have lower operating costs are probably the DA-42 and a P2006T. But then you have to shell out with £200-300K more. You can buy a lot of avgas for that.

Airliners do recirculate air as well as add new air from the compressor stages to the Packs. But the air is filtered before recirculation.

Last Edited by JasonC at 17 Feb 23:25
EGTK Oxford

This is interesting
http://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/

On Boeings the pilot has no control over the % being recirculated, but on Airbuses he does.

Also the figures for filter effectiveness are hugely unconvincing. A friend works in Airbus maintenance and reports how the filters are bunged up with crap.

And how do you filter viruses? You need an electron microscope to see one. It could only be chemical or really powerful UV.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

By principle, I only use the car within the country borders of The Netherlands. If I have to go somewhere else (in Europe) I fly myselves.

Lately, I have been neglecting this principle twice: once for a trip to a city in Germany where I thought that the ICE train would be faster and more relaxed (I must have been hallucinating at that time) and the other time to go to a fashion event with my wife in Paris (Paris not being a city with many very nearby airfields other than Le Bourget).

So, the ICE train started being delayed in Arnhem for almost 2 hours. Then, we have to switch over to a “normal” train in Oberhausen with a group of party people filling the train with beer and songs. In a way, that was fun to see but not for 4 hours.

The other trip was to Paris by car. We left early in the morning from the Arnhem area (5.30 AM) and hit the first traffic jams around Antwerp in the morning, then were stuck again around Brussels and all the time wishing I was up there in the plane.

So, for me it is back to flying again myself.

EDLE, Netherlands

Because it’s COOL !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Rwy20 wrote:

AFAIK the air you get from the A/C in an airliner is already filtered, so that is not where the microbes are coming from.

The worst thing about the air in airliners is that it is very dry. When your mucous membranes dry out they become more exposed to bacterian/viral attacks.

Snoopy wrote:

My personal dream would be to drive into a hangar on one side and taxi out the plane on the other

I am actually able to do that now Except for the fact that I would not start the engine in the hangar.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 20 Feb 07:26
LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

Also the figures for filter effectiveness are hugely unconvincing. A friend works in Airbus maintenance and reports how the filters are bunged up with crap.

Is that not the point of a filter?

But obviously effectiveness depends on them being regularly cleaned.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

A friend works in Airbus maintenance and reports how the filters are bunged up with crap.

You should ask him what they looked like back in the days when people were allowed to smoke aboard!

LFPT, LFPN

I would not have to. I saw what remained of the outflow valves of our Caravelle when it went to heavy maintenance. Took several days in a special solution to clean it, and we only cleaned them since there were no new ones to be had. Some folks who saw this too stopped smoking right there and then!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message