Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

120 reasons for flying GA

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Some folks who saw this too stopped smoking right there and then!

About three years ago I bought a Juno 106 (analogue synthesiser, from 1984). After having it a year, the keyboard became intermittent so I stripped the keybed down to clean all the contacts. The previous owner was a smoker, and I’m sure the synth had been gigged with before the pub smoking ban. I used a lot of isopropanol cleaning off the thick layer of tar on the sides/undersides of the keys. It was revolting. And this was something that didn’t get the air drawn through it!

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

It was revolting. And this was something that didn’t get the air drawn through it!

Which makes you wonder how people’s bodies can clean out their lungs for decades before smoking eventually kills them. A very few people seem to be able to tolerate it indefinitely, for example a man I knew through motorcycling who was previously a very accomplished military pilot who continued to ride motorcycles into his late 80s. I rarely saw him not smoking until he died at about 90 years old. How the heck could lungs tolerate that for 70 years or whatever?

As an aside (I think it’s a good story about Vern) when I (re) started flying in around 2003 he asked me in what type I was learning. When I told him he explained that he had also some Luscombe time…. in the 1930s, about 65 years prior. He also had some great stories about delivering Interstate Cadets from the factory as a part time job to supplement USAF pay, getting lost (on top), then landing on a desert road as a flight of two so the could ask where they were and continue.

This is another interesting data point about airline travel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Got out of bed 7:00.
Left for the airport 9:00.
Departed 10:00.
Landed 12:00. No rush, no queues, no germs.
Walkabout and lunch.
On the boat to Tresco 14:00.
Unbeatable!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Got out of bed 7:00.
Left for the airport 9:00.
Departed 10:00.
Landed 12:00. No rush, no queues, no germs.
Walkabout and lunch.
On the boat to Tresco 14:00.
Unbeatable!

I’ll do the same tomorrow:
- get out of bed at 7:00
- leave for the airport at 8:00
- depart at 10:00 (I have something to leave on a way there so I need some buffer)
- land at 12:45
- have lunch at 14:00
- Calvi beach at 15:30

Last Edited by Emir at 08 Jul 09:44
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We went to Oban a week ago. 1.5 hrs in the Auster and an easy day trip versus 12 hours each way by any non-GA method!

Andreas IOM
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message