Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

2 x IFD540 in a TB20

That sepia look on the aircraft and his fashionable gray-brown clothes make this ad really look like super modern technology.

Avidyne are surely getting their money’s worth from their PR agency… I wonder what a “Brown Jacket Award” is, not sure I want to get that one, reminds me of the “Brown Underwear Award”.

Yes – I know him

I am still planning to do this but the reports I am getting on how many IFD540s are being shipped with INOP functions are not good. I guess they need more time.

I thought that was a great advert for the TB aircraft… 13 years too late, and most American pilots had never heard of Socata.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Larry Levin, a Trinidad TB owner is featured on Avidyne’s latest ad in AOPA Pilot magazine.
Is he the US owner/pilot mentioned at the beginning of this thread ?

Last Edited by Nestor at 24 Oct 09:04
LFLY, France

I haven’t got any pictures, and will take some next time I go flying, but the TB20 I fly has the best panel I have seen in a TB (IMHO of course ;) ). The usual all Garmin stack and then twin Aspens. All the analogue gauges have been replaced with electronic ones including fuel, along with fuel totaliser. On the RHS of the panel all the extraneous junk has been cleared out and there is an iPad mounted….It is a very nice and I guess cost effective setup.

EGHS

I pay:

2 x GNS430 Navdata
1 x Avidyne Entegra MFD Navdata
VFR Approach Charts Europe (EU) for MFD + 3 devices
IFR Approach Charts Central Europe for MFD + 3 devices
-————————————————————
€ 2573,00 p.a.

I better not divide that through my flight hours …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 20 Oct 08:40

I have looked at the Ipad Mini very carefully.

It can just about display a full Jepp terminal chart and still be readable, with reading glasses.

But it won’t do the satellite wx unless I also buy the ADL120 for €2000 plus €25/month (which is a good solution for Ipad users, however).

And it won’t run any VFR charts unless I spend a whole lot more on JeppFD-VFR – about €300/year?

Coming back to the IFD540, it will be interesting how many bugs surface in more obscure bits like interfacing to flowmeters. The product has only just begun shipping in the USA. I monitor the forums there and there is very little feedback of any kind. Avidyne told me at EDNY, April 2014, that they purchased every piece of equipment listed in the GNS530[W] IM (I think the man actually referred to the Garmin AML STC but the IM is implicit in that) and tested it with the IFD540. But they did not test anything not explicitly listed in there by P/N…

Administrator

The new subscription is definetly a big step forward. However .. I would never fly without a backup. So that means 2 subscriptions?

The advatnage of 2 mfds is

One can act as keyboard
One can display charts while the other displays other things like plates, traffic, weather etc

The jepp bundle with the ifd’s is a bit cheaper than the jeppbundle with garmin 530 and garmin 430. The plates on the ifd basically then come for free.. There is no extra charge for a second ifd.

As for plates on an mfd.. I would never pay for plates on say an Aspen.. On the IFD it will work but you may have to scale.. The big advantage i see there is that then you have your backups and you also see yourselve on the approach (=georeferenced). As is the case with the Ipad.

As for the Ipad .. Peter just get yourselve an Ipad mini 2 and for ever be happy.. It is a great solution and it works.. I had a lot of heating issues with the Ipad 3. The mini is much better and it is the ideal formfactor both in daily live as well as in the cockpit.

I have the same subscription as Jason.

The new package does not include MFD pricing. Personally I find GA MFDs a terrible way of viewing charts, the iPad is much better. The more recent Jepp app allows the screen to be locked and – IMO -works very well. The price is still a bit high, but its a lot better than it was…

Last Edited by jwoolard at 19 Oct 21:23
EGEO

Is that the 4-installation pricing? They started doing a new package recently but I don’t know if it appears of the MFD products.

Administrator

No other products from Jepp.

This is the package. Link

It is iPad only 1 install. I use Garmin for the MFD.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Oct 21:19
EGTK Oxford
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message