Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

2018 fly-in - Cambridge EGSC 12-13 May 2018

Venice was tried a few years ago, and I seem to remember was going to be quite popular. But at the last minute, it was discovered that it clashed with their film festival, and all accommodation was booked out.

Might make a nice destination. Not too far south for those from the north but still warm and scenic.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Piran, Croatia.

Although it’s very close, it’s rather:

Piran, Slovenia

Last Edited by Emir at 18 Nov 11:47
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@eddsPeter
EDTF sounds splendid then from my point of view.

@all does a EuroGA fly-in have to be at an IFR field?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes – I knew Piran is in Slovenia, really Even an IFR pilot has some (possibly very vague) idea of the country

Regarding IFR fields… I have written this before a number of times (can’t find the threads now) but basically there are a number of factors which determine who will turn up, and they aren’t necessarily what one might expect. For example:

• VFR-only removes some 1/3 of participants (it depends on where it is of course)
  • Grass removes another 1/3 to 1/2 (but most of them wont say it openly because they get called sissies )
  • No customs/immigration removes most from UK, Switzerland, Norway, Croatia (despite a high German posting presence on EuroGA, this removes perhaps 25% of the pilots who actually turn up at fly-ins)
  • No avgas makes it a lot more hassle and people will do it only if the place is pretty spectacular

Other requirements are

• A place with something for the whole family, or non-flying passengers
  • Good scenery

Yes; Venice had a lot of interest. We could look at it again. Somebody would need to check out with the airport management if they could park say 20 planes, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes – I knew Piran is in Slovenia, really

and Copenhagen is in Sweden

Berlin, Germany

I would be interested in EDTF too, it’s somewhere I would like to have visited this summer.

As for me, the only restricting factor would be crossing the alps.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

VFR-only removes some 1/3 of participants (it depends on where it is of course)

@Peter To reach Freiburg EDTF the ones who would like to approach IFR may use EDTL (Lahr) for cloud breaking on the ILS (that‘s what I normally do when approaching Freiburg) or LFGA or LFSB. So there are a lot of possibilities in the vicinity to do an instrument approach.

But as far as I have realised in the posts before, no one would come if the weather is bad or cold.

EDDS , Germany

Peter wrote:

VFR-only removes some 1/3 of participants (it depends on where it is of course)

I wonder why. Seriously why?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Freiburg would be a good choice, even though obviously isn’t by the sea or so. But the Schwarzwald is right there, for people who want to go hiking or similar. The city is full of young people, being one of the most important university places in the southwest of Germany. I think the ratio between inhabitants and students is quite remarkable. Freiburg is also pretty much the warmest place in Germany. It often reaches 20 degrees in March (and the magnolia are in full bloom, when the north is still in the middle of winter).

There also is a frequent bus line from the airport into the city centre. Thus, people can avoid taxi costs, the latter often being a turnoff.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Nov 18:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I wonder why. Seriously why?

Because the option of an IFR arrival (via flying an instrument approach) considerably improves your options, both for planning alternates and actually arriving.

Most IR holders fly in VMC above any cloud, so they have to descend through the cloud in order to land. And that raises various issues as to how to do it safely with regard to obstacle clearance, and an IAP solves those nicely.

Whereas a VFR pilot will most likely fly all the way to the destination below the cloud, so the issue does not arise.

And IR holders are much more likely to come to a fly-in. It’s just the way it is… They also do most forum contributions… again, it’s just the way it is.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message