Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

3.5° slope on GTN Visual Approach

I had a strongly held belief that GTN Visual approaches were 3° or nothing, but yesterday into EDAZ 07 I got 3.5°.

Has anyone else seen such a thing?

EGKB Biggin Hill

This is interesting for a different reason: EDAZ bans VFR straight in approaches.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This is interesting for a different reason: EDAZ bans VFR straight in approaches.

Why? The Garmin functionality with the visual approaches is independent of VFR regulations. It is just a help for pilots to get a glide path where they think it would help.

but yesterday into EDAZ 07 I got 3.5°.

As far as I know Garmin calculates with a 3 miles final and the glide path is set according to terrain there. But without any guarantee of terrain clearance it is no IR procedure.

For myself, I do use the feature only to set the final course for a vfr approach instead of using the OBS feature. It’s faster and the needle points to the final course direction immediately.

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

Why? The Garmin functionality with the visual approaches is independent of VFR regulations

You are right of course, the database does not take local regulations into account. I just sounded like he possibly flew the straight in visual to 07, which sounds very unlikely.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Timothy wrote:

I had a strongly held belief that GTN Visual approaches were 3° or nothing, but yesterday into EDAZ 07 I got 3.5°.

EDAZ has a 3.5° PAPI. I would guess that’s the reason.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Interesting, EGNS used to have a 3 deg. Garmin visual on 08, latest Airac now only gives lateral due terrain.
ILS is 3.5 deg

Last Edited by PeteD at 29 Jul 07:00
EGNS, Other

There are plenty of places with 3.5° or more PAPIs, but a 3° slope. eg Biggin 03 and many others, but I have never seen a Visual approach with more than 3°.

the database does not take local regulations into account.

I don’t believe that a database is used as such. I think it’s calculated on the fly from runway orientation and the terrain/obstacle database.

I just sounded like he possibly flew the straight in visual to 07, which sounds very unlikely.

Quite, the filthy lice infested boids don’t like it. But I am always reassured that the world’s Police is out there looking after me.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Maybe Garmin are looking to tie their visual approaches up with the ils/papi etc slope, now they have been in existence for a while?

EGNS, Other

Wouldn’t it be loverly?

I have asked Garmin and await their answer.

But this is on 3.51, not 3.62, so it’s not like it’s a recent change.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I asked Garmin about this a few weeks ago following customer questions and received the following:

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message