Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

360 in IMC for separation...

Yesterday when flying in the Groningen EHGG CTR I got two requests to do a 360 for separation. I was IFR in IMC.

The first occasion was when two approaching Navi helicopters (flying in formation) where unable to maintain VMC.
This resulted in high workload for the Tower controller and since I was heading into their direction I was requested to do a 360 and climb.

The second occasion was when I was in the holding (over VZ) the controller told me: a 360 over right is sufficient now, descent 2000ft, cleared approach ILS runway 23.

I always considered 360s a VFR thing. Except during training I never did one while flying IFR.
Are 360s a legitimate way to separate IFR traffic? There might be some issues like disorientation or gyro errors?

lenthamen wrote:

I always considered 360s a VFR thing. Except during training I never did one while flying IFR.
Are 360s a legitimate way to separate IFR traffic? There might be some issues like disorientation or gyro errors?

In both these cases I assume that radar separation was used. The controller asked you to maneuver in such as way that separation would be maintained — or possibly restored in the case of the helicopters. I guess that a 360 was the maneuver that would have the least impact on your flight.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

We had to do it once, when approaching Glasgow in IMC and they tried to re-establish a coordinated traffic flow after a landing accident and runway was clear again for the approaches. Before we had to fly two holdings and the third was shortend with the 360.

EDDS , Germany

Making a 360 takes 2 minutes. A turn in the hold is 4 minutes. Could that be the reason a 360 was requested and not a hold?

LFPT, LFPN

We had talked about this before. The opinion back then was that in IMC you don’t do a 360. I think that came up in the thread about my own approach into EDDH Hamburg a while ago.

Isn’t the usual way to restore, maintain separation to provide vectors in combination with climb/descend instructions? That keeps everyone within the limits of standard turns.

Frequent travels around Europe

I think the no 360 is due to limitations in old gyroscopic instruments. I am not sure it is still applicable. On FR24 and similar you frequently see planes doing 360s in lieu of holds

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

old gyroscopic instruments

The “old gyroscopic instruments” most likely being the semicircular canals of the inner ear, and yes, they’re still in use and their limitations still apply, last time I checked

LSZK, Switzerland

I thought we all flew on A/P?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

I thought we all flew on A/P?

You know some of us here don’t have an ATPL (=autopilot license), so we’re expected to retain some handflying skills in IMC and therefore need to practice from time to time

LSZK, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

In both these cases I assume that radar separation was used.

I’m not sure as there was no approach radar service available, as per the NOTAM:

A0200/16 –
APPROACH RADAR SERVICE NOT AVBL,ALL IFR TRAINING TRAFFIC PPR
BY ATC EELDE TEL: +31(0)50 3099229. MAR 01 03 07-10 15 17 22-24 29-31 1030-1600,
01 MAR 10:30 2016 UNTIL 31 MAR 16:00 2016. CREATED: 26 FEB 06:15 2016

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message