Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Welcome to our forums

61.75 piggyback FAA PPL can be obtained via Zoom

I’ve just heard from someone who did it, calling up a US FSDO from Europe, and avoiding the €3-digit circus of the two DPEs based in the UK.


Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Can you provide more details? (Privately or publicly). This could make it much easier (no need to take a day out to travel within UK) as well as cheaper, plus having the certificate issued before travelling to the US removes some of the risk/hassle of trips – whether purely as a tourist (e.g. flying holiday) or hour building.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

You can still get it in the UK from the friendly DPE. His surname is the same, as something which you live in. If that makes it clear enough.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Yes, Adam House, but you have to travel to him, which right now is a challenge if you live outside the UK.

I am not posting the inspector’s name (because he would be inundated) but if somebody actually needs it I can ask the source if it can be passed on.

Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I don’t have a validation yet, I am more than interested in getting one. The last time I tried the whole journey to the states was cancelled, and I could never pick up the card.

Do I understand you correctly that even a first-time validation is now possible via Zoom? I always thought they want to see you in person at a FSDO, but even without Covid a trip to the states just to pick it up seems not sensible for me.

If an initial validation is indeed possible, would I have to contact the FSDO my card was sent to?

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Whatever you do, never use that term „validation“ when speaking or corresponding with the Americans. It confuses the hell out of them, because that term does not exist in FAA lingo. It‘s a (I know it‘s long) „private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license“. Or a bit shorter: a „14 CFR § 61.75. certificate“. But don‘t say to them „I want a validation“.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes there is no such thing as “validation” you get “EASA licence verification” (an admin letter from FAA that you can’t use to fly) and “FAA 61.75 certificate issuance” (FAA PPL that you can use to fly in the form of plastic card from FAA or temporary paper from DPE/FSDO)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 06:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra, Is there an up to date manual for people with PPL and/or CPL and/or ATPL and/or IR for a piggy-back and/or standalone license conversions?
And obviously, is there any benefit for a European pilot to have that license if you are not planning to fly N-reg?


arj1 wrote:

And obviously, is there any benefit for a European pilot to have that license if you are not planning to fly N-reg?

Aside from flying N-reg, I don’t see the advantage but it’s maybe easier to go CAA to EASA via FAA & BASA now?

FAA IR has clear advantage even if you are not flying N-reg outside UK: you can let FCL IR expire without having to do ATO training/course, if your FAA IR is valid (it’s easy to maintain 6 approaches if you have IR or IMCr or get IPC with CFI-I), then you only need to find IRE to do skill-test and signoff your FCL IR

I have no idea about FAA IR or standalone PPL/CPL/ATPL but I gather Peter wrote lot about these when he did his conversions/training in the 17th century

For FAA61.75 here’s the full process for obtaining a FAA Certificate under 14 CFR 61.75 (‘piggyback’ licence), PM if you are stuck !

1. Decide where you’re going to present yourself to obtain your FAA licence – you have to visit a specific FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) or Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) to pick up the licence. It is possible to complete this process entirely in the EU (there are two DPE)

2. Fill in the form linked below for the FAA, and fax to the number shown on the instructions : … ification/

3. Fill in Form SRG 1160 ( and fee (£43 I think) and send to CAA at same time;

4. Allow 90 days for the FAA to return you a letter of verification. A copy is sent to the FSDO/DPE you specified on the Form. It normally takes much less than the 90 days, but be patient;

5. Book appointment with your nominated FSDO or Designated Pilot Examiner;

6. Complete IACRA (FAA Online Application) and then visit your FSDO/DPE with your letter of verification, license, logbook, medical, passport and proof of address, fill in a form, and the FSDO/DPE will issue you a Temporary Airman’s certificate. This is valid for 3 months (iirc) and you will get your credit card license in the post a month or two later.

The £43 to the CAA plus the fee to the FAA Designated Pilot Examiner are the only cost in the entire process. The bits with the FAA are quick and painlesss, but you must book an appointment!

7. Once you have been issued a Temporary Airman Certificate by the FSDO or Designated Pilot Examiner, you must then complete a FAA Flight Review with a FAA CFI.

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 08:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Aside from flying N-reg, I don’t see the advantage but it’s maybe easier to go CAA to EASA via FAA & BASA now?

It’s not… 2xTheory exams + skills test for EASA.

Ibra wrote:

I have no idea about FAA IR

Right, that was my next question! :)


36 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Back to Top