Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

61.75 piggyback FAA PPL can be obtained via Zoom

And predictably Sarah Rovner (above link) has stopped doing the 61.75 over zoom. It was a really dumb move to publish her name in a magazine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

May I ask anyone who knows anyone who can do this over zoom to

• not publish the details anywhere (including here)
  • not supply the details to anyone who contacts you via PM unless the person is a known participant here for some time

Why this secrecy?

Because there are powerful interests going around and killing off this option. Another one got killed off 2 days ago.

One cannot completely prevent an impostor collecting DPE details for the purpose of terminating their business, but if somebody has been on EuroGA for some time, that’s a pretty good assurance. If in doubt, ask me; I can see when somebody joined up

Before I supply any details I ask for their absolute assurance that they won’t pass it on, and stress that if they do, the guy will prob99 get terminated – FWIW.

Administrator

This FAA letter was posted publicly on FB

Quite interesting in light of this

I see the usual pattern of renegade FAA IFO handling foreign business.

Administrator

From here

No more 61.75 piggyback licenses outside the UK, too.

I don’t know whether Peter is saying it is the end for anyone getting a 61.75 piggyback license if they are outside the USA; or whether he is saying they are still available if one lives in the U.K.
For the record, I know of two people within the U.K. who have obtained piggyback licenses via Zoom within the last six months. They used this method to avoid the horrendous ‘administrative costs’ charged by the two DPE’s then operating in the U.K.
Whether this route will also be curtailed by the FAA in the near future, if/when they hear of it, remains to be seen.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 30 May 11:30
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

6 months ago, yes… I’ve had a string of DPE / Zoom contacts over the past year and each time I passed one on to someone, the next person reported the contact as dead.

That FAA letter above from Mr Roholt has all the hallmarks of the NY IFO which is basically a renegade offshoot of the FAA and which has over the years had all kinds of oddball people working there, writing oddball letters which, let’s say, don’t quite hang together as a position statement of the FAA. The FAA is not interested in what happens there; it’s regarded as a distant outpost in the galaxy.

But, this gets even more interesting in light of this. That in turn suggests that the NY IFO no longer has anybody in Europe on whose behalf it would need to write such a letter.

Something weird is going on… looks like either Mr Roholt is out of date by around a year, or Mr Hughston is operating again somewhere and has not cleaned up his old websites. His previous ones rnav.us and flyafts.com are dead, however, although rnav.us is paid up.

Administrator
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message