Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

9-10 September 2017 fly-in - Astypalea LGPL Greece

For anyone going VFR – some Greek charts are here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Decent chance my wife and I will join. We’re planning on Greece in June (Crete, Rodos, Milos—LGPL also an option) though and either Ireland or U.K. in August—but we could wend our way back. In 2016, we left the plane in Greece through October for the improved weather.

Paros is wonderful, but best on the side facing Naxos. Need a car that get there though.

I would prefer 2-3 September. I have vacation scheduled Aug 28-Sept 10. We could leave the plane on Crete and come back for it later, but earlier dates would leave more flexibility.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 03 Apr 20:08
Tököl LHTL

I’m flying to Athens on July 8th, so it will be two trips to Greece for me this year

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Partly due to Fraport situation I have been “on the case” and while we all hope the €150 port of entry / avgas cost can be alleviated for a “tech stop” (particularly since Fraport’s de facto wiping out of Greek internal GA activity does need an urgent review of their pricing) I am checking avgas availability too, to avoid the Burgos situation. Samos LGSM has confirmed they can do 3000 litres which is what I asked them for. I have stopped there a number of times and it was always a good place to stop, even just for a quick refuel. I am waiting for a confirmation from Sitia LGST of both pricing and how much avgas they carry. Both LGSM and LGST are a similar distance from LGPL although LGST is in the wrong direction…

For avtur burners the situation is a lot easier.

Administrator

IMO here is a comparison:
Sitia:
- Is very relaxed compared to Samos.
- Has no Fraport and ridiculous charges (unless they improve something on that matter during the Summer).
- Is an easier airport to land. Samos is very ugly with the meltemi winds (a 15kt N wind is 100% gusting plus-minus 10kt and there is a nice wind shear, too) , although September is not known for many meltemi days.

On the other hand Sitia has shorter operating hours.

As far as the island is concerned, Samos is absolutely beautiful and is worth a visit and at least a 3-day stay. Crete, well you know, you can live there forever.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

MedFlyer wrote:

I might join with something like this

What is the story behind this?
How easy is to buy build one?
It comes as a kit and if yes what company?
What is the cost and what it takes to use it in Greece legally?

Thanks

Is these any chance that LGPL can become temporary port of entry like some airports in Europe have customs and immigration on request?

BTW I can use Lemnos (LGLM) or Alexandroupoli (LGAL) as port of enty – these are on my route to LGPL (or close to it) and are not governed by Fraport.

Last Edited by Emir at 22 May 14:45
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have asked about that. It ought to be possible because it is just an instruction to the policeman who will be hanging around anyway.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It ought to be possible because

Many of us wish that was true but unfortunately its not the case.
Customs are involved in such cases because its an off Schengen treaty (which is about physical persons and passport control) clause that the status of “port of entry” law is applied. Its related to the vehicle, not the physical persons.

You can read the full story at www.aopa.gr/Info paragraph 13.

There COULD (maybe) be a case where local customs might agree to come over and do checks. Most islands have customs because lots (but not all) are surrounded by international waters (high seas).

LGMG Megara, Greece

A departure direct out of Greece, e.g. going back via Croatia, would be handy.

Most avgas burners will arrive via Samos (or maybe Sitia, if you want to save the Fraport €150 but burn more avgas) for avgas and that will also do the port of entry, but it is silly to have to do that again on the way back.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message